23| You Don't Need Wings to Fly Above the Rest

"You had wings before...?" Hunter asked hesitantly, waiting a moment for Ace to answer. When he finally assumed Ace wasn't going to answer, he looked down at the height of the drop, thinking silently to himself.

"Yeah... I did."

Surprised, Hunter proceeded with the questions, curious about Ace. Questions and theories and random thoughts all quickly rushed through his head, on the outside he finally worked up the courage to ask one.

"What were they like?"

Ace paused for a moment, thinking silently to himself for a moment. He then answered with; "They were beautiful... soft and fluffy like clouds, white as snow... they... h-hehehe- They matched Rory's wings a long time ago... but ever since, his wings have become darkened- ruined."

Hunter thought about it for a few minutes, silently thinking to himself, his thoughts racing a mile a minute, so many questions he wanted to ask yet his thirst felt like it was closing in on him, he couldn't choke out words that somehow would probably make out a sentence.

He looked down at Ace, his legs were now pulled to his chest and his head was down. Something wet and glittery slid down his cheeks- tears.

Hunter kneeled down behind Ace, looking over his trembling body that held itself tightly together with his arms. He looked like he was about to break and shatter, the pieces of him would scatter everywhere, some would fall and others would lay on the cold hard ground.

After a moment, Hunter extended his hand. Reaching forward to gently rest his palm against the back of Ace's shoulder, making his body tremble a little harder than before. After a moment of silence, Ace's head turned to face Hunter, tears were streaming down his face in large amounts and were dripping a little off of his chin.

"Hey... Ace..." Hunter said softly, his voice quieter than before, probably trying to calm Ace down a little. The tone of Hunter's voice seemed to help Ace a little, because the tears from his face had slowed a little and you could tell that Ace was trying to stop hyperventilating.

"Hm?" Ace mumbled under his breath softly. Hunter thought for a moment, before he proceeded.

"You don't need wings to fly above the rest, you can get around things without wings. Not having wings isn't a bad thing, in fact, it most definitely is a GOOD thing! It proves you are strong, that you fought for life and yet you cut them off so that you could keep moving. That's enough proof for everything, isn't it? Who cares if you don't have wings, you need to work your way around that! Look from a different angle and you'd be surprised from what you can do..." Hunter replied, gripping Ace's shoulder a little tighter than before.

Ace turned back to the cliff, looking down at the drop one last time through glassy eyes. He then closed his eyes tightly, bringing up his arm and gently wiping away the stray tears from his eyes and face. After the tears were gone, he blinked a few times and then sniffled a little before carefully scooting back away from the cliff and standing up, waiting a moment before he looked over his shoulder to Hunter who was now standing behind him.

"Thanks," Ace said as he slowly turned around to face Hunter, a faint smile slowly spreading across his lips as he saw Hunter's reassuring smile. "We... Should keep moving now, before it gets too late and before it turns dark, alright?"

Hunter easily agreed, and from then on, they started looking for a way to get down the cliff safely.

___________________________

Rory's POV

Those who once were in my mind, now forgotten... Those who saw the light, but now live in darkness... Those who fought for love, yet died in the end.

They're all GONE...

Rory stared at the ground, eyes bright and glowing neon green with small speckles of gold shimmering around in them, making Rory still look a little bit normal.

Voices surrounded him, whispers, screaming and shouting, thousands of voices wrapped around his body and held him still. He couldn't move, nor did his mind tell him to, he remained still.

Everything was dark around it's edges, lit up a little in the darkness with neon green, the same green that matched his eyes. The voices wouldn't shut up, not ever. They all seemed so angry, so hurt, so upset and sad, as if they had lost many things. But they were just voices that attacked his mind, they never were real people. Even if they once actually were people, they no longer existed now.

They must have fallen long ago, into the darkness of the abyss in their minds. Just where Lazarus wanted them to be, just because they either dis-pleased him or just couldn't take any more of the stress and torture.

But Rory was strong. He was stronger than the rest and he still continued to fight, no matter how much it made his body and mind ache and hurt, he still forced himself to keep moving on. So he wouldn't parish like all the others, he couldn't.

He WOULDN'T.

Yet the negative voices from his mind, they refused to let him think good things. They convinced him that his friends and family were dead, that they abandoned him- betrayed him.

And he believed them. He gave in.

But he still wouldn't give in completely, there was still a small piece of him that wasn't yet gone.

That part of him just had to be freed from its cage.