Faded

He was fading.

He already knew it. He wasn't surprised to know that some people were starting to forget him - a sign that a personification is fading, dying. He knew, because the people and his boss asked for only one personification of this country, this boot-like landmass, the Italy. He knew, because people prefer Italy Veneziano, North Italy, more than him.

Except for one.

But even so, he's still unsure if he do prefer him unlike the other people.

Spain..

His name echoed in his mind; his country name, even his human name. He closed his eyes, as he thought of the possible reactions he could get when the countries find out that he has faded.

Or will they?

Probably, they won't notice that he's gone. They will forget him anyway. But he'll be glad if one remembered him, and if Veneziano does, he bets that his brother will cry to the macho potato, and if Veneziano will tell his former boss about it, his tomato bastard will too. They both will be heartbroken, and all the other countries will help them to move on from him.

At least.. that is what goes on in his mind.

He wants to be loved.

He knows he is, but is it real?

He's not sure.

He doesn't know.

All he knows at the moment is that he was fading.

Would he have a chance to at least say good bye to some people? Or before he could do that, he had already faded?

He hoped for the first option. He would die in guilt if he won't at least say good bye.

He reopened his eyes, now moist and tears were flowing freely down his cheeks.

He doesn't mind.

He doesn't care.

He doesn't want to fade. Not yet. He's not ready - how could the world be cruel to him?

Would he be reincarnated after he faded? Or days later? Or weeks, months, years, or centuries and even decades?!

He sighed and cried.

He felt so vulnerable, so broken. Many questions popped into his mind, but they remained unanswered. He's confused, like a little child who has yet to know about everything.

Why is he crying?

Shouldn't he be at least a little glad because it's not his brother who will be fading?

It's likely for Veneziano to disappear, since his heart is the city of Venice. And his.. his heart is the city of Rome.

He should be glad.

Because he won't forgive himself if he let Veneziano fade instead of him.

But what's bothering him is..

What is Veneziano thinking about the thought of his brother fading? What would he do after he faded?

So many questions. So many tears.

He's tired of it all.

So he cried himself to sleep.

He must have been daydreaming for a while now, because when he blinked out of his reverie, the sun was already setting. Or he must have been asleep all this time. He wasn't too sure.

Already? He had thought and sighed. But suddenly, he felt something is wrong.

Very, very wrong.