The Heart

He slowly opened his eyes as he woke up from deep slumber, and first thing he noticed, despite the blurriness of his vision, was everything is white. Well, except for one thing. Or rather, person. He blinked his blurriness away, and realised that that person is his grandfather.

"Nonno..?" He croaked out, his voice raspy and dry. His throat hurts just by speaking. The said man immediately lifted up his head towards his grandson.

"Lovino.." a smile made its way to his grandfather's face as he kissed his grandson's forehead. "How are you feeling?"

Lovino cleared his throat, "I'm feeling fine. But first, I need water."

His grandpa, Romulus, complied as he went out to get his grandson something to drink. The Italian grandson inhaled deeply. He put a hand on his chest, just above his heart. It seems that the operation was a success. Thankfully. But something is missing, and he can't think of what, or who.

Romulus came back with a glass of water, handed it to Lovino and sat down beside the bed.

"Where's Feliciano?" he asked, but something is still missing.

"I told him to go home. He's been up ever since you got out of the operation room." Romulus told him, a worried expression flashing across his face. But he smiled.

"You did good."

Lovino stared at his hands.

"Where's Antonio?"

Romulus froze. After a few moments of silence, Lovino lifted his head up to look at his grandpa.

"You didn't know who donated his heart to you?" The younger's breath hitched, and his tears threatened to fall.

"You mean..." a tear fell. "No. No, no, no, no!"

"I'm sorry," Romulus looked away.

"He can't be dead!"

The door opened slowly.

"Lovi?"

Lovino gasped and looked at the doorway, "Antonio..?"

Antonio ran over to Lovino, "You're awake! Oh, thank God. But why were you crying?"

The Italian stared at the Spaniard, his eyes wide in disbelief.

"But... you..."

A laugh echoed in the room. Antonio and Lovino looked at the laughing Romulus.

"I'm just kidding, Lovino. He's not the one!"

Antonio looked confused, while Lovino looked furious.

"You... old bastard! I thought he's dead! Fucking hell!" He cried in anger.

Romulus continued to laugh as he exited the room.

"Lovino, please stop crying. I'm here. I'm alive." Antonio hugged Lovino.

Lovino hugged back, "Don't you dare leave me, okay? I was so scared!"

"I am too, you know? But thank goodness, you survived. You're so strong." The Spaniard whispered in his ear.

"Ti amo," the Italian sobbed.

"Yo también te amo."

A/N: This one shot is longer than I've expected, oh wow