Childhood Promise

"When we grow up, I promise to marry you!"

The two sat at the front porch in the middle of the night, looking up at the starry night sky, when one of them suddenly spoke up.

"Lovino? Remember that one thing I said when we were kids?"

"Which one?" Lovino rolled his eyes. "You said a lot of things back then, stupid."

Antonio laughed slightly, "My promise."

At that, the Italian's heartbeat quickened as his face burned. His promise.

"What promise?" Of course he knew that one, how could he not forget it? His mind went back one time and just had to remember that one, and now everytime he sees the male beside him, it reminds him of that time.

"The promise. The one where I said I'm going to marry you when we grew up." Antonio smiled slightly as he looked over at the other male. "Remember?"

"I don't!" Lovino was quick to deny, huffing slightly as he looked everywhere but at the Spaniard. "I don't remember you saying that back then."

"Ah," Antonio sighed. "Of course you don't. It was like, seventeen years ago, when we were just around five. Well, you are five years old that time and I was seven."

It was a good thing that it's night, or else Antonio would already tease Lovino for looking like a tomato. He was indeed looking like a tomato, cursing in his mind for thinking that they should marry, after all.

But on the other hand, they aren't even boyfriends in the first place. Maybe Antonio just remembered it, then decided to tell Lovino for no absolute reason. Or maybe there is, like saying that he doesn't mean it.

"I was immature that time," Antonio continued, and Lovino listened, gasping lightly. "I didn't know things. I didn't think that I was being very fast—that innocent child version of me." He chuckled, and it sounded like music to the Italian's ears.

"So I'm taking it back."

Lovino's world stopped, as his gaze met Antonio's. He's not lying; he really wants to take it back, and it somehow broke Lovino's heart. Of course...

"Of course. We're not kids anymore anyway. You can do whatever the hell you want." He shrugged, putting on a mask that said that he's fine, even if he's not. Not anymore.

"Besides," Antonio cleared his throat, somewhat ignoring what Lovino just had said. It annoyed the latter. "I like—"

"Oh! So that's it, you like someone?" The Italian let out a small, yet forced, laugh. "Who's the lucky girl?"

Antonio shook his head, taking Lovino's hand in his as he stared deep into the other's eyes.

"What I like is for you to be my boyfriend."

It was a moment of silence after the Spaniard declared that, the two just staring at each other.

"Pfft—" Lovino tried to suppress a laugh, but he failed. He laughed loudly, a hand covering his mouth as he snorted, laughing more. Antonio looked puzzled and hurt, as if what he said is just a joke to the Italian.

"Lovino, I'm serious—"

"You're Antonio Fernández Carriedo. And yes, it would be an honour to be your stupid boyfriend."

Antonio felt a blush dusting his cheeks as Lovino looked at him, already calm, a rare and beautiful smile on his lips. It made the zoo in his stomach go wild, the gorillas pounding on his chest hardly, as he sucked in a deep breathe at the astounding sight.

"I love you too, you bastard."