Ch. 22: Your Call

Vanessa's POV:

"Alexis, are you ready??" I called from the door wearing a dress and heels. "We're going to be late for the ball!"

"I'm coming, I'm coming!" She came into view as she hurried out from the bedroom.

"Finally." I pecked her lips and took her hand into mine as I led her to the door.

"Oh! Wait, I forgot something!" She exclaimed and rushed into the bedroom once again.

In a matter of seconds she hurried happily back to me, stuffing something in her purse.

"Got everything?" I questioned teasingly.

"Yup." She kissed my cheek and led us out the door.

Quinn's POV:

"Wow, you really picked a great venue for the annual ball." My date, Maya, admired the elegant décor and vast interior of the hall.

The ballroom was a pale shade of beige with golden accents. A large shimmering chandelier hung from the high ceiling, illuminating the room in warm richness. To the far end of the room were large glass doors sculpted into the wall, which allowed for wandering eyes to gaze out into the landscape. Just beyond those shined glass doors laid a balcony that painted a portrait of tousled tan sand leading up to the white moon glimmering off of the gentle waves of the ocean.

"Thanks." I smiled warmly at her. "I figured since the sponsors help our business so much we might as well thank them greatly for. We need to keep the relationship we have with them strong."

Maya was growing on me, her warmth, her kindness, and her spirit all reminded me of my true love.

****

The ball was half way finished and I managed to avoid seeing Vanessa while I thanked the sponsors for their generosity. Several of my clients/singers preformed throughout the night but I was most anxious about Vanessa's. Not because I thought she wouldn't perform well but because I knew that if I saw her, my heart would ache more than it already has been.

****

"Do you plan on performing tonight?" Maya asked as we slow danced in a crowd of gleeful people.

"I don't think this red dress can handle it." I laughed.

"To bad..." she leaned in close and whispered in my ear seductively. "I love the way your body moves when you dance."

"I-" I began but immediately froze when the next performer's voice echoed throughout the spacious hall.

Remember all the things we wanted

Now all our memories, they're haunted

We were always meant to say goodbye

Even with our fists held high

It never would have worked out right, yeah

We were never meant for do or die

I didn't want us to burn out

I didn't come here to hurt you now I can't stop

I made eye contact with Vanessa as her angelic voice enlightened my soul and she looked sincerely back at me.

I want you to know

That it doesn't matter