Ch. 11: Back to the Beginning

Vanessa's POV:

'What the hell are you doing Quinn?' I thought to myself as I lay on our bed.

Three months have passed since the last time I saw Quinn. I tried going back to that mansion but it was abandoned. She hasn't contacted me since then either and I have no idea what to think at this point. I pushed the thoughts of doubt away from my mind and pulled Quinn's pillow against my chest. When all of a sudden my phone alarm began to ring.

"What is it? It's midnight." I thought to myself as I picked up my phone.

My eyesight began to blur from the tears forming in my eyes as I read the alarm description.

[Anniversary <3<3<3<3<3]

I stared at my phone for a few moments and let myself cry.

"Come home..." I sobbed into the pillow

****

I was just leaving work and getting in my car when I heard my phone ring from a mystery caller.

"Hello?" I answered the phone cautiously.

"You wanna know a little something about Quinn's family?" An eerily familiar female voice spoke.

"Who is this?" I questioned in a demanding tone.

"What if I told you that Quinn's the reason your brother Joseph is six feet under." She stated.

"What are you talking about? He died in battle." I said, aggravated.

"It's not my problem if you don't believe me." She mocked. "You can deny the truth all you want."

"Who are you." I demanded, rather than asking.

"Who me?" she asked innocently. "Why, I'm just trying to show you how wrong you are for Quinn." She stated matter-of-factly.

"...." I stayed silent, not being able to find words to respond.

"I would tell you to ask Quinn about it yourself but she clearly doesn't think very highly of you anymore." She taunted with amusement clear in her voice. "She gets tired of new toys fast." I felt pain rip through my heart. "I best get going, have a nice day Vanessa." And the woman hung up the phone.

****

Quinn's POV:

"Quinn would you take that horrid necklace off already? You have plenty of beautiful jewelry in your room." My father said.

"If you're going to keep me here against my will the least you can do is let me wear what I want." I snapped gripping the pendant of the necklace that Nessa gave me.

With that I rushed up the large foreign staircase to my new room and slammed the door behind me. I sat on bed and leaned against the skillfully wood carved headboard. My anger started to fade when I gently pulled out a piece of paper from my pocket. It was the note Nessa left with the necklace. I slowly read over each word and let her loving words fill my heart and melt my anger away.

"Happy Anniversary..." I whispered and allowed a tear to glide down my cheek as my body ached with yearning.

Knock Knock

My sister knocking on my door interrupted me, "What do you want?" I said coldly.

"Why are you being so crabby today?" She asked and sat on the edge on my bed.

"I shouldn't be here Rebecca." I said to my sister.

"Look I know you don't want to be around dad. He just thinks he's doing what's best for all of us. It'll be easier if we all just go along with what he wants." She put her hand on my leg and her big brown eyes gazed at me, full of understanding.