Chapter One

I woke up with utter certainty that today was the day. I ran to my bedroom window to see the dawn steadily approaching. I go to my ginormous closet and pull out a small box.

I dress myself into the dark clothing and pull my waist-length hair back into a braid. I arm my waist with my sheath and load my sword. I sneak around the intricate castle to the stables. I might be a princess by birth, but I'll never feel in my place in a long, uncomfortable dress and tiara.

I ready and mount my horse riding to a place where I can never be found. I meet one of the soilder here at the break of dawn every day. He spar with me. Sometimes, I beat him. Soilder is more my place than princess will ever be!

Today, there is a hitch in my plan. Father is standing there talking with Charles, the soilder I meet.

"Natalie, go back." Father says as I attempt to dismount my horse.

"Why?"

"The ball is tonight."

"And father? I don't wish to go to the ball."

"You must at least make an apperance."

"Well... Could I at least stay for an hour?"

"No."

"Half an hour?"

"No."

"Fifteen minutes?"

"No. This ball is too important to have you smelling of your horse and sweat. Charles..." He motions for Charles to take my horse back to the stables.

"Fine. I'll go get ready, but I'm riding back to the stables first." I mount my horse quickly against his loud protests.

This princess thing will be the death of me!