Of Scars and Fighting Back

It was two days later that I finally went back to work. Weary and tired, wearing a long sleeve to hide the slashes on my arms, I pushed open the door to Hard Love. Not unexpectedly, the lights were mostly off, not yet opening time for the club. But it was quiet. None of the set-list music was playing, leaving the room feeling slightly stale and... underused. Then I heard it. A very faint thudding sound, as if something fell. I followed the sound, over to a door that was marked Locker Room. I opened the door quietly, the thudding sound louder. And I realized that the sound wasn't something falling. It was something being thrown against the lockers.

"Stay. Away. From him!" I recognized the voice, my blood turning to ice. James. There was a sound of skin hitting skin, and that's when I moved. I turned the corner, seeing James pressing Mark into a locker. James towered over Mark, and I could tell that Mark's pride had been beaten down a bit. Though trying to seem tough, Mark was clearly terrified of James. That's when something inside of me snapped. How DARE he target Mark.

I rushed at James, shoving him away from Mark. James, not expecting me to be there, stumbled and fell. I started kicking him, sending my foot into his torso like he did to me so many times over the years. Blinded by my rage, I kept kicking and kicking, only stopping when Mark wrapped his arms around my and pulled me away from James' unconscious body.

I was panting, tired and feeling another panic attack coming on. I turned in Mark's arms to face him, burying my face in his chest and my breaths heaving. His hand stroked up and down my back, his voice whispering soothing things in my ear.

"Shhhh. It's okay Sean..It's okay..." I was shaking, my breathing turned into gasps.

"Shhhhhh, shhhhhh. Come on hon... Fight back, you got this..." his words were calming me down slightly. My breathing, though still shaky, was slowing down. The gasping was fading away, my thought becoming more clearer with every breath.

"There you go. Come on, just a little bit more..." my breathing had become normal once more, my panic attack gone. I looked up at Mark, a tired weak smile on my face.

"Thank you..." I breathed out, not entirely trusting my voice. He nodded kissing my forehead lightly before pulling away to go to James. Sighing and shaking his head, Mark pulled out his phone before calling the police. He explained the situation, requesting that James have medical attention before going to prison. 

He hung up minutes later, moving back to me and engulfing me in a hug.

"You're gonna be okay. I promise."