Chapter 11

-Penelope's P.O.V 

My sleepover last weekend was actually really great. My parents had gotten me a small birthday cake so my friends could celebrate with me. Sydney bought me a bunch of stuff- candy, clothes, socks, a mug with a best friend quote, etc. Max just got me candy and a gift card to Forever 21. 

The smile on my face as I walked downstairs grew as I saw my dads setting up a few birthday presents on the coffee table. Wednesday got here so quickly, and I was so happy to finally be a teenager. They whipped around as I almost tripped down the steps, making a loud thud. 

"Happy birthday!" Daddy cheered. A real smile grew on my face as I ran to him, wrapping my arms around him. Papa joined us. "My baby isn't a baby anymore." I looked up at Daddy. "You're a teenager." An even bigger smile topped over the other one.

"I know! Isn't it exciting!" They both planted a kiss to my head.

"No. I don't want you to get any older." Daddy muttered softly.

"Me neither." Papa agreed

For once, I was a bit happier to go to school. I mean, it was my birthday. It was an obligation to start off on a good day. At school, I kissed Daddy's cheek, said goodbye, and rushed inside. Before I could get to my locker, Sydney tackled me in a hug.

"Happy birthday!" She cheered. Max joined in on the hug and laughed along with us. 

"Thanks guys." I smiled and pulled away. The warning bell rang, sending us to our homerooms. In homeroom, the only person who spoke to me was my teacher which all she said was 'happy birthday.' I had choir sixth period, and that mean I had lunch the next period. Mrs. Jackson smiled at me as I took a seat in the soprano 2 row. 

"Happy birthday, Miss Tomlinson." I grinned and thanked her. Instead of working on our pieces for the concert, she let me pick out a song to sing just for the day. She did this on everyone's birthday. The song I chose was one of my parents' songs. With a class that had sopranos, soprano twos, and altos only (a girl only class. The guy class was separated), I chose to do 'They Don't Know about Us' because it's about my dads, and it means a lot to them. They went through a rough period when they were in the closet. Their management did everything to keep their relationship forbidden, but eventually they fought for their love. Every time they told me the story, I'd tell them I was proud of them and happy they did, because if they didn't, I wouldn't be here.  

I went up to Mrs. Jackson and showed her the song. She told me that she used to be a huge fan of my parents and uncles, so of course she got excited over the song I picked. She ran down to the office to make copies of the song. Meanwhile, I texted my parents

To Daddy: Hey Daddy :)

From Daddy: Hey sweetheart. Should you be on your phone? 

I laughed a little before responding. 

To Daddy: Technically no, but Mrs. Jackson had to make copies of the song I picked to sing today. Guess which one I chose (: 

From Daddy: Let me guess.... 

That was all he said until Papa finally answered in the group chat. I giggled at what he said as he directed his sass towards Daddy, who was probably sitting right next to him. 

From Papa: Dumbass, her favorite song, well one. 'They Don't Know About Us.'

I laughed even more. 

From Daddy: Oh... Baby! Record it for Papa and I? I want to hear it (:

Oh Daddy. I giggled lightly and told them I would before Mrs. Jackson came back. She passed out the song which I read over to myself. For no reason whatsoever, I just hugged the paper. This song was my parents' wedding song, the song they listened to when I came home from the hospital, it just really meant a lot to our family. Mrs. Jackson went over each of our parts with us and then we began singing. My phone was recording the whole time too.