Chapter 27

-Payton's P.O.V 

Today was the first day I was performing with my dads, well before them. I was terrified. I kept retuning my guitar, over and over as the clock ticked on. We were at the stadium an just relaxing before my parents had to go soundcheck. 

"Hey, calm down," Daddy spoke. My family was here to watch and we even flew Sydney and her parents out to watch me. Max came too. My grandmother stood behind me, braiding my hair. 

"What if I suck? What if like, a string breaks or my microphone stops working? What if I throw up? Because I feel like I'm going to any second," 

"You're going to do fantastic. And you're singing your songs, some of our songs, and some of your favorite songs. I don't think messing up is even a possibility," I looked over at him. 

"You mess up your own lyrics and so does every other singer," 

"Exactly," He paused. "Plus, no one knows the words to your other songs. So you can make up the rest if you forget," 

"But what if I faint? Or cry?"

"You won't," 

The time had come and it was my time. I stood backstage with my dads, on the verge of tears. Papa took a hand and kissed my knuckles. 

"Don't think about all of them. Daddy and I will stand on the side you can just watch us. Close your eyes if you have to," I gulped and nodded, wiping a tear I didn't mean to even spill. He quickly wiped it away. "Get up there, kiddo. We're proud of you," My hands were shaking and sweating and I couldn't calm down. "Deep breaths," 

"Get up there," Daddy encouraged. "We love you," I turned around and took small steps towards the steps of the stage. I looked back. "Go. Want us to walk up with you?" I shrugged. "It's up to you," 

"N-No," I regrettably said. Of course, I wanted them to walk me up, but I had to do this. On my own. I got up on the stage and suddenly, my face appeared on the big screen, the fans erupting into screams and cheers. I went up to my mic and put my mouth to it. "Hi, guys. Before I start, this is my second time singing in front of a crowd but my first time opening for my dads- family- One Direction-, or anyone," They cheered again. "A-And uh, just, if you don't like it, uh, don't leave cause my family- One Direction is still going to sing later tonight. Now tonight I have a few songs of my own to sing as well as some One Direction songs and just a couple of random songs I love. I sang this first song the last time I sang in front of a crowd. So, if you've seen that and know any words, sing along!" They cheered and soon the music began and I counted the beats before I shut my eye and let out the first word. 

-Harry's P.O.V

She looked like she was ready to be sick. She sounded beautiful, although her voice was a little bit shaky. That was okay, though. 

"Her voice is shaking," Louis pointed out what I already knew. "Did we push her up there too soon?" I shook my head. 

"She has to start somewhere. This is the perfect spot. We're with her at each show, so I think she will figure it out. She'll figure what makes her comfortable and confident. She sounds beautiful still," She opened her eyes and looked over and Lou and I. We smiled and both waved at her. "You sound amazing!" She turned back to the crowd and soon finished her first song. The fans cheered so loud, I think it freaked Pen out a little. 

"W-Well, that was the first song I wrote. I hope you liked it," More screamed. "This one is a little more upbeat. Enjoy!" And so she started her second song. In the middle of it, she broke a guitar string stopping right away. She was going to have a panic attack. She turned to me and I had no choice but to rush up there and help her. "I-It broke," She said in a panicked voice, accidentally into the mic.