Chapter Twenty-Three "You're Wise For Your Age."

I walk through the field, picking up a flower and smelling the wonderful citrus smell that falls off of it. I shut my eyes in pure bliss from the wind pushing my hair away from my face like fingers running through your long strands. I look around with a grin, I forgot what it was like to be a child again. I forgot what it was like to live.

I sit down on the cliff, my feet hanging and I know that dangers come with what I am doing right now. The cliff could easily break under my weight and break, leading me to my death.

But something tells me it won't.

I think back to Gray, how his smile lit up the whole room when I woke up, how his soft lips met mine, making warmth spread through my body. It was strange, I thought I could only love my mate?

But nothing compares to what happened this morning when I looked in the mirror after Gray kissed my neck last night, where my mark is. I woke up with no mark, it just.. vanished. What a strange thing, right? No mark. I'm no one's property anymore. I can get my priorities straight, I can relax without worrying about the rebellion.

I'll leave..

Gray's already gone. I made him leave last night to go take care of his injured warriors. It's important when you're an alpha to take care of your pack, and I know he needed to despite his constant whining of not wanting to leave me alone. Actually, not wanting to leave me at all.

I smile, bringing a finger to my lips as I look over the edge, smelling the fresh lake water from below hit my nose, inhaling a breath. I wish I could do this all the time, enjoy life for its natural ways, and not it's horrible turn of events all the time.

"How's Gray?" Jackson asks me, walking up slowly to take a seat beside me.

"Left last night to take care of his pack. How are you?" I ask him, remembering the day that I killed Lilly by my own hands.

I haven't changed into wolf form since that day.

"I'm good actually. I knew that she was going too far, and to be honest.. she wasn't even my real mate." He mutters softly, looking over the edge of the cliff as I look over at him in surprise.

"Really?" I ask and he nods his head, a small smile forming on his face.

"She was twenty-five when I first met her.. I knew she was a wolf.. but we met in the city, at a candy shop. We were the same age yet we acted like children, grabbing as much candy as we wanted. I seen a huge Milky Way and I knew I had to have it.. but when I touched it, another hand touched mine and I looked over to see the most beautiful girl, I've ever seen. She drove my wolf crazy, and that was when I knew I could love again. My mate had hurt me over and over again and left for someone else so I didn't think I would ever be happy again.. But when I met her- she was my whole world.. she was real." I smile at him, shutting my eyes as another breeze comes.

"What happened after that?" I ask in a whisper.

"Well, I asked her on a date and surprisingly she said yes. I asked her about her mate to which she said she was rejected.. to say I was shocked was an understatement. I wanted to love her, I wanted to make her mine. I knew that we don't get granted two mates but I thought this was my chance, so I kept taking her out and we fell in love. I knew that maybe I had another chance- so I marked her with her consent and we got married. She couldn't bare me pups but I was okay with that.. I still loved her. Everything was great, hell we even became rogues from our different packs so we could create a life together, even if being a rogue was dangerous. We found a rogue pack without a leader about ten years after searching for a home across the country- and when we found you.. and smelled your powerful scent. We knew you'd be perfect. Lilly adored you, but the longer you gained power and put everything back in order, the more different Lilly became. She started a plan to kill you, and she made packs betray you. She even let Alpha Lukas in.. I'm so sorry Paris." He whispers, looking at me sadly.

"Your story was beautiful. I'm a sucker for hearing love stories," I say with a grin, ignoring the shocked look he gives me. I ignore the ending, the way he said sorry made me want to hug him.. so I did.

"Yet, you can't even find love," he says jokingly and to my surprise, I laugh and don't take it seriously.

"I've found love, but I've lost it too. I guess I'm just not made for it," I say with a small laugh, looking over the cliff.

I sound like a normal person right now.. a normal twenty-one year old.

"Paris, your laugh is beautiful. I mean this in a fatherly way, I wish you laughed more often." He says with a smile, looking over the cliff like I did.

"Thank you Jackson. That was very kind," I say smiling, loving the way the air smells of fresh water, letting me breathe the air deeply, enjoying the smell.

"I can't help but ask- what happened to your mark?" He asks, touching where my mark had disappeared. I smile, touching it also.

"It disappeared last night, I wish I knew how though," I say, looking at the water with a frown.

Oh Moon Goddess, please help me.

"Love." He states calmly, looking over at me for a few seconds before picking at the grass, throwing handfuls over the edge happily.

"What do you mean by love?" I ask, looking at him confused.

"My mother used to tell me that if you bare a mark but don't love, it vanishes. But if you love, and don't bare a mark, you gain power. She said that only rare, unique, special people gain this wonderful trait. You're different Paris, we all know that.. but you're more different than what you think." He says smiling.

"I don't understand.. I don't bare a mark and I don't love." I reply, tilting my head to the side.

"Confusion is the key to success. No matter what, you keep going to reveal answers, and answers lead you to your fate." He says wisely, making me look at him in a whole new perspective.

"You're wide for your age," I say simply, looking back over the water.

"I should be. Paris, I know what happened in your childhood. I was there.. I seen you grow up. Paris, he's not dead." He says smiling at me, mystery all in his eyes.

I wish I could read his mind..

"Who's not dead?" I ask him curiously. I have a feeling he'll say Lukas.. but I killed him.

"Your father."