44. Falling down

D E J A

"She's only 1lb, 6oz." I gushed to Trish and Roger, my parents.

"Her eyes haven't even opened yet, a-and she's almost completely bald." I chuckled.

They both gave me very parent-y smiles, "I'll be in and out of here a millions times a day but I have to be with her when she comes out of surgery and I can't sit in that hospital when she's in surgery." I explained quickly and they nodded, "Well, Avery is happy to have you back, but knows you have places to be." Roger assured me and I nodded.

Trish checked her watched and sighed, "I've gotta go, my lunch break is almost over. I'll see you at dinner tonight?" She said standing from the edge of my desk and I nodded, "Good," She said kissing my head, "And bring Riggs." She said and I slightly smiled.

He's been drifting away, again.

It made me question everything because he's supposed to be the person I can fall back on.

"How's he doing?" Roger asked still leaning on my desk.

"He's distant. He's almost never at the hospital, or work, or even our house." I sighed as I leaned my head back.

"I'll talk with him, teach him a lesson." He lightly joked and I smiled.

He stood and left to his desk, I sighed as I looked over at the empty chair where my husband's butt was supposed to be.

I got up to go get some coffee because the long days at work and then the even longer nights at the hospital seemed to be taking its toll for the last week.

I stopped when I heard Mr. Delgado speak softly, I stood outside of the break room.

"Deja was premature, too. Almost three months, but look at her now. You want to be a drunk, Martin, you be a drunk.. but don't blame my daughter or granddaughter for it. Be there for them, both of them." He spoke as I listened for Riggs' response.

"I can't be in there and see my beautiful daughter in there because of me, because I couldn't get my shit together!" Riggs spoke loudly, luckily the office was already loud so no one seemed to notice, "I caused her to be premature, I caused Deja's heart attack, it all falls on me!" He shouted and I lightly covered my mouth.

"Do you think she blames you for any of that? Because I've known her for all a month and she hasn't blamed her mother and I for leaving her all those years ago." My biological father spoke, I was taken back by his voice.

Although they've been there for me whenever I needed something for the last month, I haven't had the chance to get to the bottom of my origin story.

Mr. Delgado left in a hurry, turning the other way so he didn't even see me.

I turned into the break room to see Martin doubled over, his hair falling in his face.

"Do you really feel that way?" I spoke quietly and quickly.

He sighed before standing up and looking at me, he slowly nodded before sniffling.

"Martin.." I breathed as I got close to him, bunching his shirt up in my hands.

"When you look me in the eyes, and tell me that you love me, everything's all right." I said holding his face in my hands, "I'm in love with you, I don't blame you for the heart attack, for Delilah being premature, none of it falls on you." He clenched his jaws as his eyes became glassy, his breathing slowed down as he placed his hands on my wrists, holding them gently. "Unfortunately, I'm in love with you, too." He said as he opened his perfect brown eyes.

"Then start acting like it." I chuckled as I blinked rapidly to keep the tears from falling.

He brought his hand up and put it on my head, over my hair, "Don't you dare leave me again." I breathed, my voice wavering, our foreheads pressed together.

He nuzzled his face into my hair, I wrapped my arms around his neck and held him tight.

--

"How's she doing?" Riggs asked, walking up to as I sat in the waiting room.

"Good, uh," I said sitting up as he sat next to me after kissing my forehead, "They weighed her and she ways almost 3lbs already, she's doing really well. Even the Doctor Karev is unusually optimistic." I updated him because he's been at work all day today while I've been here.

"Good, good. That's what I like to hear." He smiled.

"That actually said she might be out of intubation this week, and she could open her eyes within the next few days.." I said as I looked over at him, my eyes lighting up as he wrapped his arm around my shoulders.

A/N friggin Clayne Crawford is sooooo handsome