Part Six

Jumpy and paranoid were both accurate descriptions of Luke's behaviour over the following days. His very nearly fearful attitude wasn't unfounded. His constant anxiety over his late night encounter was certainly backed up. He was just too wrapped up in feeling that way to understand why the fear was still there days later.
It was difficult for Hemmings to comprehend that someone genuinely wanted him dead.
If he was able to pay what he had been accused of owing, he would have. Just to set his mind to rest. He'd been given no details at all. It was as if someone was setting him up.
As much as Luke wanted to ignore the problem, he couldn't get the confrontation out of his thoughts. It hindered him constantly.
Hemmings was currently leaning on the front desk, acting rather flirtatiously towards the dark haired receptionist.
In reality, he was scared to leave the office. Terrified.
It was the third day, and he had been completely unable to pay. And it wasn't his fault.
Luke finished work at eight, but it was very nearly ten before he had the courage to leave. The green eyed receptionist had left earlier, and Luke had fabricated an excuse to stay late. Something about paperwork.
Leaving tonight was the last thing he wanted to do.
It took a lot for Luke to finally leave through the front doors. More than it should have to simply go home.
Luke's gaze flickered around him as he walked, clutching his coat close. The nervousness in the pit of his stomach was growing to the point where it was becoming unbearable.
All his fears were confirmed when something that felt like a metal pole was jabbed into the small of his back. Hard.
Luke didn't even want to turn around. He knew exactly what was coming.