Part Thirty

Luke's gaze stayed on the ground as he headed into the kitchen.
There had to be a reason that Ashton was doing this... He'd said he would be paid well if Luke wound up dead, so why was he even still alive? And Luke knew also that Ashton locking him in the cupboard for days had been well deserved, too. It wasn't something Luke wanted to dwell on too much. But he had to be thankful towards Ashton for keeping him alive.
He had to open several cupboards before he found any form of cereal and he couldn't deny that he was surprised. Ashton seemed so normal... Granted, a lot of the food was ready meals of sorts, but it was a weird feeling.
Eventually, Hemmings returned to the living room with a bowl of plain cornflakes and milk - he daren't have anything other than what Ashton had told him to have.
Luke didn't manage to finish the cornflakes in the end - he began to feel sick from suddenly eating so much in one go. So he just returned the bowl to the kitchen, disposing of what he hadn't eaten. Sure, he was still hungry, but he also couldn't eat anything more.
"I'm going out later today," Ashton informed Luke as he returned to the living room.
"And you're to stay here. I want you to do some of the household chores - I have no time to undertake anything of the sort while I'm tying up loose ends. There's a rough list on the fridge and I expect it all done today."
"Why should I?" Luke asked, not thinking before he spoke.
"Because, I have no obligation to keep you alive. In fact, you're of more monetary value to me dead than alive. Almost 20k actually. Remember that."
Luke's next words were quiet and somber. It was as if they were barely there.
"Why didn't you kill me on that first night then?"
Ashton just stared at Hemmings wordlessly, in an attempt to find an answer that made sense to him. There really wasn't one except his desire for control and his curiosity about just how much it would take to push someone to breaking point.
"You'll find out... Sometimes experiences are worth more to me than money - remember that as well."