Part Forty Six

Luke made no move to get off the floor for a long while. And Ashton didn't make him.
It had taken this much for Ashton to realise the immorality of how he currently made his living. It had taken him very nearly losing someone he cared about. It was safe to say that Luke was the only person he cared about. The two years he spent working as a hired killer meant he moved around a lot, and it had torn him away from what family still cared about him.
The time was gone twelve before Luke shuffled to a seated position, although still relying on Ashton quite a lot to stay steady.
He hadn't spoken either, and Ashton understood. Having a gun go off inches from your face wasn't a pleasant experience.
It felt like forever before Luke opened his mouth. But Ashton knew he needed all the time he had already taken to regain his composure.
"Why didn't you?" Was all Luke was able to ask before he winced at his own words, unable to continue.
"Doesn't matter," was all Ashton whispered in return, gently enclosing Luke's hand in his.
It wasn't long before Luke attempted to get to his feet, using Ashton for support. And Ashton helped however he could, moving with Luke to the bed.
Luke was able to see clearly now and, although there was still a mild ringing in his ears, but things seemed to be straightening out a little.
"What's going to happen now?" Luke murmured to Ashton, now sat nervously on the edge of the bed.
"That doesn't matter right now," was the only answer Ashton could give him.
Ashton didn't know how to get them out of this situation without anyone else getting hurt. It seemed like an impossibility...