Part Forty

Luke knew things were looking up; Ashton displayed almost no violence towards him after the kiss. Almost. The day after, Luke had said something, he couldn't remember quite what it was, and Ashton had grabbed hold of him quite roughly. But that was the only incident. It was almost as if Ashton had let some of his walls down. Maybe because of his growing relationship with Luke, or the fact he knew he had almost complete control over Luke.
But one thing was bugging him, and it did hurt. His deadline was coming up fast and he had to keep up with his promise of delivering a body. Any breach of trust would most likely be dangerous for both him and Luke.
And although his relationship with Luke was improving, that didn't change the fact that he would put his life above Luke's in almost any situation.
He pulled himself off the bed, pulling on dark clothes again, and picking up the handgun from the bedside table.
He couldn't let his personal life effect a job. It wasn't how he worked. And Luke was the first person he'd been contracted to that he even had any sympathy for. Granted, it wasn't a lot, but it was there. But that didn't make Ashton regret anything he'd done. Not in the slightest.
He just had to slip out of the mindset of caring about Luke on a personal level. It wasn't worth the risk to keep him alive.