Part Twenty Six

"Please turn this off... I don't want to know," Luke mumbled, finding the courage to glance over to Ashton. He didn't make any move to turn the TV off.
"Did you just tell me what to do?"
"No! No -"
Ashton stared unforgivingly at Luke, who knew exactly what he had said.
"Just turn it off," Luke mumbled bitterly. He was sat with his legs shoulder length apart and his head in his hands now. "I get it - I'm dead - I'm not walking through that door any time soon. I'm living on borrowed time."
Ashton stared at Luke, silently debating what Luke had said. He was right, he was living on borrowed time. It wasn't at all helped by the fact that Ashton's client now wanted Luke dead.
That now forced Ashton into a position where he had to at least consider it. He had no real attachment to Luke, just a small desire to drag this out. See how easy it was to manipulate someone.
Ashton sighed and turned off the TV, and Luke relaxed a little.
It was easy for Ashton to see how upset just a few minutes of that report had made Luke. It was like confirmation that he wasn't going home.
Ashton also knew that he would have to experiment a little in order to find out what really beat Luke down - he knew the last four days had worked, but forcing Luke to understand consequences was different to deliberately endanger his life.
"Thank you..." Luke murmured from beside Ashton, although he was still staring at his hands.
Luke's exhaustion was beginning to show as he stretched and yawned slightly, but Ashton didn't offer him anywhere to sleep.
Ashton turned the TV back on and flicked to another channel that didn't show news - maybe he had given in too quickly to Luke's request.
Hemmings, on the other hand, couldn't stop thinking about the segment he'd seen. Was tomorrow really his fifth day away? It must be... So that meant he had spent four days locked in that tiny room... It had felt longer. And people were actually making some kind of effort to find him... What hurt the most, though, was knowing that they would have no luck.