Part Forty Two

Luke groggily rolled over and sat up, bleary eyed from sleep.
It was nothing new for Ashton to wake him up, but the atmosphere felt wrong. Ashton was usually fairly relaxed in the mornings...
Luke forced himself awake quickly after he noticed this, although Ashton stayed silent.
It wasn't until Luke had dressed that Ashton spoke to him.
"Luke, we need to talk about something, like right now..."
It didn't take much for Luke to see Ashton wasn't himself.
"Uh... Okay... What about?" Luke asked, more nervousness showing than he would like.
Ashton seated himself on the bed, and Luke instinctively sat beside him.
"I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I've been paid to have you dead by tomorrow..."
Luke just stared at Ashton in shock. He couldn't have just said that...
"It's got to the point where I'm being threatened to finish the job -"
It was a lot for Luke to take in, but he cut Ashton off.
"Do it... I already knew it was coming..."
It was difficult not to hear the pain in his voice or the tears in his throat. They were so obvious and no attempt was made to hide them.
Luke had given up all hope of leaving here alive already. Every day after he first got here was a bonus. By no means was he ready, but it had been inevitable.
His words were met with a marginally shocked and pained glance from Ashton, before he spoke.
"I swear I'll make it quick."