Part Fourteen

Ashton led Hemmings back down the stairs, quite harshly, despite Hemmings' protests.
Hemmings quietened himself quickly when Ashton brought out the .44 handgun again. This time, he had no reason to hide the weapon. Luke couldn't call for help either - it was safe.
"Sit."
That was the only word that passed Ashton's lips.
And Hemmings did. He did what he was told, no matter how scared he was for the outcome. If he could just get past the white shirted man... If he could... He gave up all thoughts of getting out in that moment.
There was no way he was thinking straight enough for him to even stand a chance against the older man, who he still didn't know the name of.
Ashton was still wielding the firearm and Luke just watched on as he loaded it. He was paralysed with fear by this point. Even if he wanted to stand and run, which he was now considering, he couldn't.
"Our situation is," Ashton started, snapping Luke's patchy train of thought in half, "People need you dead. And I'm the one who deals with that."
Everything he said seemed so empty and emotionless.
"This isn't my fault, I'm just doing a job."
It was at this moment he lifted the gun to where Hemmings was sat vulnerably on the couch and stepped forward a little.
The waterproof covers now made sickening sense to Hemmings.
He was going to die here.
Luke put every ounce of courage into standing up and stumbling backwards, managing to back himself against a wall. He was still in a stunned silence, unable to speak even if he wanted to.
"I've been paid for this, if my client so much as sees you, you're dead. So best do it this way?"
Ashton asked, not approaching Luke.
And Luke nodded.
It was better to do it now. But he didn't want to die. He just wanted to go home. He wanted to be able to have a life. He didn't even know why this was happening.
"That is, unless you want to do it."
Ashton's words were difficult for Hemmings to comprehend until the older man was seemingly offering the gun to Luke.
He couldn't be serious...