Part Thirteen

Luke had no sense of time as he waited for the fog in his mind to clear.
Things didn't make sense... Surely he couldn't be alone in the house, how would he have even got here without help?
In that moment, the realisation of what had happened overtook him and panic built up in his chest.
He wasn't ready to leave, not in the least. He had no choice but to try.
Still feeling a little faint, Hemmings forced himself to his feet and made his unsteady way to the bottom of the staircase.
There was no way to describe how he felt as he ascended the stairs. His state was a whirlpool of sensations between physical sickness and fear.
It didn't take Luke long at all to get to the top of the stairs, although he had to clutch hold of the railing to keep himself steady.
The door at the top of the stairs looked normal from the inside - no locks or bolts. That gave Hemmings a little hope as he tried to turn the handle.
It didn't turn.
Luke pulled on the door, desperately trying to force it open.
It didn't open.
Eventually, Hemmings slammed his fist against the wooden door and yelled something.
The next few minutes were a blur of Luke yelling and him pounding on the door.
Then the door seemed to fall away from me as someone opened it from the other side.
Luke stepped back from the door as the familiar man, dressed in jeans and a white shirt now, looked him up and down.