Part Forty Nine

Ashton did eventually make it through the front door, his hands glazed in a dried scarlett film. The lower part of his dark grey t shirt was drenched in the same substance.
He had considered not even coming home. Luke wouldn't be there by now. He would be home, or safe at least. Ashton took comfort in that.
Things with Luke changed so dramatically after the previous day, and Ashton had hoped to be able to work things out a little better.
Ashton grimaced as he slammed the door behind him, heading into the living room.
He dumped his jacket on the floor and peeled his damp shirt away from his body, letting it also fall to the ground.
Not all the blood was his, but there was enough for Ashton to question whether he'd be able to deal with the stab wound on his lower abdomen alone.
He'd slumped on the couch by now, unaware of Luke in the next room.
This wasn't the first time he'd had to deal with an injury like this, but it was the worst. All he did initially was put pressure on the gash, just enough to bring most of the bleeding to an eventual stop.
Ashton rose from his seat quickly when he heard someone leave the kitchen and he turned around, unsure what to expect.
Then he saw Luke.
A flicker of anger made its way across Ashton's slightly pale face, but he couldn't stay mad at Luke for not leaving. It was gone in seconds.
Ashton didn't know what to say as he stood in the middle of the living room, shirtless and covered in drying blood. He stared at Luke, and Luke stared back. Hemmings was clearly shaken by the sight of Ashton and the anger he had already shown. The blood only added to his level of shock.
Ashton finally spoke, although it looked as if Luke was going to say something also.
"Luke! Why the fuck are you still here? You're supposed to be safe, you were supposed to be safe by now... You were supposed to go home."
Luke stared at him in silence for a moment.
"This is home."