Part 19

(laf <3)

Lafayette smirks at us and looks at Herc, giving him a sorry look, then making the car take off and go on the abandoned road with no speed limit.

I shut my eyes as John clutches to my arm while Herc keeps yelling; Holy sh-t, Laf be the mom friend instead! Slow down!

Lafayette slams on the brakes and I'm glad I had my seatbelt on. I grab John as he grabs his seatbelt and hits the back of Laf's seat. "And that's why you always wear seatbelts!" Laf smiles. (No seriously guys wear your seatbelts)

We run off into the mall and Lafayette instantly runs to two familiar, but much older looking girls.

"Lillian! Pillow!" He yells, but a fox jumps in front of Lafayette before he could hug them. Lillian leans down and the fox licks her face.

"It's okay, lil' cutie. Laf's a friend." She says softly to the fox.

Pillow launched at Laf and hugs him. "So Laf? Come to buy a ring? Oh Herc, let me look at you! I am going to be, like, the most important person for your wedding!" She circles Hercules who just sits there and smiles awkwardly while looking at Lafayette for help.

"AHEM NO, I WILL!" Lilian protests. Lafayette shoes Pillow away from Herc and waves his hand in dismissal, and I catch him blushing.

Hercules raised one eyebrow at the girls and sweeps Lafayette into a kiss. I pretend to barf until John grabs me and we kiss. Ours lasts longer than theirs, surprisingly, and I melt into John as we hug.

Lafayette starts laughing and puts a hand on my shoulder. "Alex, mon Ami, you can continue zis' later." He says to me and Herc mumbles something to John that I don't catch. Me and John separate.

My face goes red and my disappointment of leaving John's kiss lingered until Lafayette starts screaming. I spin around to him, the scream sounds like it's behind me.

"OH MY GOD GUYS LOOK!" He screams, pointing at a very expensive and extensive fancy hat. "It's something from France! I would recognize it anywhere! My..." He trailed off for a moment. "My grandfather, but after he died my grandma had it, my grandfather died when I was thirteen, had one when I was very little. She used to put it on my head and tell me about how much of a great general I would be..." He trailed off and we immediately went to hug him as he put his hand over his mouth, tears glimmering in his eyes.

Hercules went and bought the hat, throwing money at the clerk(?) and running out, the hat in his hands. Lafayette was sitting on his knees, looking at the ground.

~my sweet babs pov, laf~

I sat down next to my grandmother. She was crying. I was around the age of thirteen. My father and mother were dead, and my grandfather didn't show up for a week. I climbed up the throne, one that ever aristocrat had, and hugged my grandmother, wiping the tears out of her eyes.

"Oh Marquis, my dear boy." She said in French. I was starting to learn English but no one else in my family knew it and I wasn't fluent in it. "Y-You're Grandfather was a proud and noble man..." she stopped for a second, putting her hand over her mouth, then sniffing and removing it, "he died."

My heart fell and I burst into tears. I had just lost my mother and now my grandfather was dead. "No!" I cry and grandmother grabs me and hugs me. She takes Grandpa's old hat and puts it on my head. That day, we cry together all day, Grandma stroking my hair lightly, telling me how I could be an even greater general than my grandfather was.

Something falls on my head and I blink away tears that are blurring my vision. Herc is standing over me, my friends circled around me. I feel my head and touch the soft fuzz that I felt all those years ago every time I felt the old hat.

I break into loud, messy crying, burying my face is my hands. Herc sits by me and hugs me.

My grandfather comes home and puts his hat on the table next to Grandma's chair. "Grandpa! Grandpa! Tell me more general stories so I can be the greatest general ever!" I yell in French. Grandpa hugs me and rubs my head.

"Marquis, my dear boy, I will after you help your grandma with cleaning the kitchen." He says and I race into the kitchen, helping Grandmother quickly clean up completely.

"Grandpa, Grandpa, we cleaned! Please, tell me a story!" I say and I sit on the floor in front of him as he sits down. I wince in my mind at how slowly he sits down. He's getting old.

He only says a few words before he leaves. "Listen, Marquis, I'll be gone for tonight, okay? Take care of your grandmother. You're going to be the best general this world's ever seen. Be strong, my boy. Je suis de tout cœur avec vous." He says it all in French, and the last part means I'm with you with all my heart and soul. I hug him and go off to bed. When I awake, he's gone, and our conversation last night is the last conversation we could ever have.

"Je suis de tout coeur avec vous." I whisper repeatedly. I grab the hat and hold it tight against my chest, my tears running down my cheeks.

"Laf, i-it's okay. Tell me what's going on." The voice is soft and sweet. Herc's. I start to break down. Non, non, non, not here, not now, please, oh please not now.

"G-grandfather... I promise I'll be the best general. Your stories still run in my mind. Your voice still speaks. Je suis de tout coeur avec vous." I say and get up with Herc's help. "I-It's nothing." I try to say to him, but my tears still want to flow.

"Laf, we're going home right now. Bye ladies, bye Hamilsquad. I'll take the car. Call me when you want me to pick you guys up." Herc grips my hand and we walk towards the car.

He opens the passenger door for me and I sit down, buckling up, my mind filling with painful memories.

"My son...." It was his father's voice. He sounded proud.

"Y-Your father's dead, my dearest Marquis..." It was mother.

"Your mother is dead." I don't remember this voice.

"Your grandfather... he died." Grandmother's voice.

"Your grandmother is dead." A doctor's voice.

"Your family is dead and you have their wealth. What would you like to do, young man?" It's an officer. I'm almost 14.

"Go to America and get an education there, and then fight alongside them, and come back as the best general this world will ever see." It's my voice. He sends me to America the day after.

"Non, non, non, S'il vous plaît, laissez-moi tranquille, je ne veux pas ces souvenirs!" (Please, leave me alone, I do not want those memories!) I cry and the car takes off. Herc doesn't say anything on the way there, and once we get home to our apartment, I lean against him and cry until I fall asleep.

(lol ok I'm sorry that wasn't planned I promise)

(this is way too damn long. bai loves~ Word count: 1238)