Distraction

August 28, 1998

"Wake up Jazz, come on sleepy head." Prince's smooth baritone voice became clearer as I faded out of my deep slumber. I squirmed as he pecked me on my cheek.

"Baby leave me alone, it's too early!" I groaned with a raspy tone.

"Jasmin, its 1:30 in the afternoon. I've already went to sound check and come back. It's time to get up." Well damn, he must've put it on me quite well for me to sleep that damn long.

I moaned as I threw the covers off of my naked body and stretched my arms above my head. As I went to throw my left leg off the bed, a jolt of pain in between my legs stunned me. "You a little sore huh?", he chuckled as he sat down next to me.

"A little sore is an understatement." Running my hand along my womanhood, a tacky white substance coated my fingers. The memories of last night began rushing back into the forefront. Internally I was flipping my shit, but I tried to stay calm. Worry was written all over his face so I didn't want my anxiety to make this situation any worse.

"P, can you get me some water so I can take my birth control? I need to do it now because if I don't do it now I'll forget and...well...we don't want that."

His hazel eyes were riddled with concern. Handing me a bottled water, he intently watched me as I swallowed the pill.  "Is that it? Are you sure you didn't take it too late?"

"P, its fine. I'm all good."

"Yeah but what--",

Standing in between his legs, I tipped his chin up to meet my gaze. "Listen to me, everything is fine, I took it on time. No egg will be fertilized. No baby."

Tracing his fingers along my lower abdomen, he said, "I mean if it did happen I'd--",

"Baby, I'm not pregnant. Okay? I'm going to go take a long, hot shower." Even though I'm convinced he didn't just impregnate me, I'm still going to utilize the tricks my great-grandma told us and jump backwards 15 times and push on my lower abdomen just in case.

-----------------

The car ride on the way to the venue, I did my best to avoid the topic that we discussed earlier. In my mind, there was nothing left to be said about it and we should just leave it in the past.

To focus his attention elsewhere, I randomly asked him, "So...how many times do you think you'll be singing 1999 next year?", which earned me a chuckle or two.

Standing in front of the full length mirror in his dressing room, I smoothed down the velvet fabric of my skirt. Turning to see how my curves were accentuated from different angles, Prince slinked his arms around my waist and rested his chin on my shoulder. "You look stunning Princess."

"