Moving On

February 15th, 2000

Malibu, CA

Prince's Perspective

Resting my left arm on the back of the chair my fiancee once sat in, I looked on as she and her cousin Naima endlessly chatted about across from me.

What was intended to be an intimate night out for us turned into a double date when Jasmin found out she and her fiance Michael were coincidently in Los Angeles and she insisted we invite them. For the sake of her happiness I agreed but the selfish part of me wanted Jasmin all to myself at dinner.

The sun had now set over the Pacific Ocean behind her and the lighting from the table's candles had intensified. Every so often she would catch my glance during their conversation. It was a natural instinct to stare at her in admiration. It was something about the way the glow casted off her honey-colored skin that made her radiate from the inside out.

By the third time she caught me looking, she couldn't contain her curiousity. "What P? Do I have a piece of seaweed in my teeth?"

"No, I just can't get over how beautiful you look."

She bit down on her lip to contain her smile. "I feel like you've told me that a million times today. I can't possibly be that beautiful."

I figured it was her hormones talking, but I still hated to see her confidence fade. "You are that beautiful. And I'm going to keep reminding you everyday so get used to it."

"How cute, anyways back to what we were talking about," Naima interjected, obviously over feeling like a third-wheel since Michael went to answer a business call. "So when are you all coming up to Toronto? I've been dying to have you come dress shopping with me."

I stifled a laugh as I sipped my water. "Naima really?"

She tried to play innocent. "What?"

"Wasn't Jazz just talking about our wedding plans? Why would you bring up your wedding mid-conversation? Some maid of honor you are. "

Naima held her hand up in protest. "For the record, I'm a damn good maid of honor okay? And I think I was talking to my cousin so mind your business."

I swear the attitudes run rampant in this family. I could only hope our children wouldn't be as mouthy.

Jasmin jumped in only to defend Naima. "Baby leave her alone. Naima did plan my bridal shower and she's going to help plan the baby shower."

Since when? That the first time I had ever heard of such plans.

Naima snidely stated, "That's right, I got you girl. I don't even know why you bothered to make Morgan your matron of honor."

"Naima stop", she snapped. No she was right, why was Morgan her matron of honor? It was obvious she wasn't making an effort to be there for her sister. If I'm being completely honest, when I went to pick up Noah from her house the other day, she said and tried to do some things that made me aware that Morgan was against our relationship.

All of a sudden Jazz loudly gasped and it took us by surprise. Naima looked on in confusion while I nervously asked, "What's wrong?! Did you have a contraction?"

She waved me off and began to smile. "No silly, they're playing one of my favorite songs."

Once my heart rate returned to it's normal pace I made a note of the familiar tune. Jazz has a million and one favorite songs, but frankly the only ones that stick out are the ones I made.

She came around and took a seat on my lap.

I could see the infatuation all in her chestnut eyes as she continued to sing what I recognized as Spend My Life With You by Eric Benet.