Chapter 3: "Variety?"

"Marco! Get out of here!"

"No! I'm not leaving without you!"

Star desperately tries to get the debris off her leg that fell from the burning ceiling, but it was no use. Marco kneels by her.

"Marco you need to save yourself, or your gonna die!"

"I don't care! We're gonna make it out! Together."

As another piece of the ceiling falls, Marco shields her.

"But... what if we don't! The whole building is falling apart! Why don't you just leave!?..."

He grabs her face, and looks into her eyes.

"Because... I.. i love you Star."

. . . .

Marco shoots up! Sweat dripping from his body. He takes deep, fast breaths and glances at his clock. 3:40am.

"Huh? Ugh... great..."

He lays back, and looks outside. The moon is full, and shines bright through his window.

"I think I... need some fresh air.."

He gets up, putting his robe on and quietly walking out to the elevator.

"Stupid machine."

He kicks it and presses the button. He begins chewing on his wand and froze when the elevator opened. There he sees...

"Star?"

She looks like she's been crying. Her eyes are puffy and her nose is red. She looks up at him surprised.

"Marco? W-What are you doing up?"

"I... couldn't sleep..."

He walks into the elevator. Awkward silence. Star sniffs and wipes her eyes.

"Do you... wanna tell me what's wrong?"

"Not really..."

"Oh.."

Marco shifts his weight from one leg to the other and twirls his wand in his hands. Star glances over at him.

"Can you push the button?"

"Oh.. right. Floor?"

"Lobby."

Marco pushes the button as the elevator moves down slowly. Once there, Star walks out.

'Come on Marco! Say something!!' The tiny voice in his head yells.

"Hey, wait!"

Star stops and turns towards him.

"What?"

"Do you... wanna get some frozen dessert?"

"You mean.. like ice cream?"

She sniffs, wiping her eyes. Marco nods.

"Whadda say?"

ICE CREAM PARLOR

Marco examines the cold snack and looks at Star from across their table.

"Um... what do you do now?"

Star looks up at him.

"You... eat it?"