Chapter 15: Family Gatherings (Part 4)

LATER THAT EVENING

The cabin was full of chatter. Star sat on the couch in her pajamas, and sipped some tea her dad made. Two pairs of hands covered her eyes.

"Guess who?"

The person spoke. She smiled.

"Could it be my adorable boyfriend who's played 3 rounds of basketball with my uncle and dad?"

"Why yes. Yes it could."

Marco came around and sat next to her. She smiled at him.

"You really are a wild man. I hope everyone's been treating you ok. They can be a little... well?"

She crossed her eyes and made a face, sticking her tongue out. Marco chuckled and looked at her.

"Nah they're all pretty cool. So free spirited and wild. I love it."

"Yep. That's my family! Just wait until tomorrow when the food's on the table. It's gonna get.. a little weird."

She chuckled. There was that famous silence.

"Hey um.. can we talk.. a-about my dreams?"

He asked, stuttering.

"Uh sure."

Star sat up, putting her tea on the table in front of them and faced him. He faced her.

"I know you said you wanted to stay out of it but.. there's this one dream that I keep having every night."

"Uh huh."

"And we'll... its you. Us. In the Mewni castle. as its burning!"

"Shhh!"

She covered his mouth.

"Oops.. sorry... anyway I think we should.. ya know.. try again. But only if you're up for it. I don't want to pressure you or rush you."

Star smiled and touched her heart. He grabbed her hand.

"I really think with some extra training with Glossaryck early tomorrow morning, I can find you in that maze."

"Well despite all of that bullshit I said to you..."

She held his hand back.

"I actually believe in you, Marco. You're my best friend. I know you'll save me, and we'll find each other."

Marco nodded, staring at her. She rubbed the heart on his cheek and got up.

"Well I'm gonna go call Oskar, tell him what's going on."

She smiled and headed outside. He watched as she put the phone to her ear. Immediately she lit up.

"Right..."

He headed to the kitchen, where River was there, flipping through his cookbook.

"Hey Mr. Butterfly. Need any help cooking tomorrow?"

"Ah that would be excellent, my boy."

River patted his shoulder.

"I can teach you all my techniques!"

"Can't wait to learn some!"

Marco smiled, twirling his wand.

THAT NIGHT

The lovely 'couple' got ready for bed.

"Today was great. I'm learning so much about everything AND your dad said I could cook with him tomorrow! Isn't that awesome?"

No response. Star walked out of the bathroom in her unicorn onesie. Her hair was in a sloppy ponytail and all her makeup was off.

"Star?"

"Huh? Oh... yeah that's great.."

She sat on the bed, getting and tucking herself in.

"Night.."

She mumbled, turning off the lights. Marco laid down awkwardly, closing his eyes.

. . . .

He shot up, taking deep breaths. It was quiet. Too quiet... He looked down and noticed he was wearing his white and gold Mewnian tux.

"Hey... this is nice."

His words echoed. The Mewni wedding song began to play and his eyes widened.

"Oh no.."

"Marco!"

"Huh?"

He turned around and saw Star, running toward him. He embraced her in his arms. She was wearing a beautiful wedding dress.

"Wow. You look beautiful in white, Star."

"Ah... It's not white anymore..."

"No... No!?"

Immediately blood started to drip from her mouth. He looked in horror as he noticed the knife plunged through her stomach.

"No....hey.. wait a second!?"

He closed his eyes tight, and a bright light blinded him. He was by himself again. He looked down at his white and gold Mewnian tux.

"Hey... this is nice."

His words echoed again. The Mewni wedding song began to play and his eyes widened.

"Oh no.. This already happened! Wait? Did I... restart my vision?"

"Marco!"

"Huh?"

He turned around and saw Star, running toward him. As he embraced her in his arms, he examined her dress. His eyes widened big as he noticed something that would change everything in this vision! He looked at her.

"You... you were already stabbed.. It wasn't me!!"

Suddenly he was lifted off the ground and began to choke. He examined the hand around his throat. It was Star's! The purple arm that talks! A monster arm. Her eyes glowed a bright yellow and her skin was scaly and purple. She looked up at him smirking, showing her fangs.

"Kill the boy! Snap his neck! Then feast on his bowels."

"No! Star you don't want to do this!"

The grip around his throat tightened.

"Ah! Star! I know you're in there! It's me Marco! I'm your best friend. Don't let the... darkness consume.. you.."

He was slowly loosing consciousness. With the last breath he had, he spoke.

"I.... love... you!"

. . . .

Both Marco and Star shot up from the bed. She screamed, covering her face. Sweat dripped down her head as she opened her eyes. She looked to her left and let out a sigh of relief.

"Star!? What happened? What did you see?"

She pulled him into a hug, not saying a word. He simply hugged her back, closing his eyes.