The ride driven by Satan

Levy

I groaned in annoyance when my suitcase wouldn't enable me to heave it out of my house. Unfortunately, I was already running late—the suitcase only allowed me to bring forty books for the whole month we'd be staying at the training camp near the beach, and it was hard to decide which books to sacrifice. Although I had finished packing the day before, I couldn't help myself but change my mind earlier this morning.

"Ugh," I whined, and tugged again at the handle. Already trying to pick it up and over the steps leading to my house, I winced in pain when my hand got stuck between the door frame and the side of my suitcase. There were hardly any spells to help me in this case, too.

"Need help, Shrimp?" A familiar, deep voice called out to me. I glanced up in annoyance—usually I'd ignore him for calling me "Shrimp", but I was in desperate need of help. He studied my position—-and laughed. There was a sudden hatred in my chest when I realised I liked his sound.

Gajeel walked towards me, taking his time. He noticed me narrowing my eyes at him, but he didn't seem to mind—in fact, that idiot knew I needed his help and used it as an advantage to tease me. Jerking my hand back as soon as his fingers grazed the other end of the handle, he lifted it up with one hand.

"Fuck," he swore, whilst I cringed at his language. "What do you have in there?"

I nearly giggled at his bewildered expression when I told him, "Books, mostly."

I stumbled after his long strides, my pace always half slower than his due to our huge difference in size. "Gajeel—wait!" I managed to pant out in between breaths.

He looked behind his shoulder, dragging my suitcase with ease. I reached out my hands to carry it myself, but he had grabbed my waist and swung my petite frame over his shoulder.

My immediate response was to thrash at his back and shout at him to put me down. His rock-hard back just sneered at my failing attempts of harming him. He grinned, "Shrimp, it only feels as if your pinching me."

"Shut up!" I replied frustratedly, but allowed my self to be absorbed in our contact. It was unexpected that Gajeel didn't say anything back; we both seemed to grow confident in the silence, unlike before when it would have been awkward.

Memories of yesterday came flooding into my mind—the small kiss I gave to his cheek, and the embarrassment which harassed me soon after. Half of me hoped that Gajeel had forgot about it, but the other half wished that he didn't. I couldn't pinpoint why, exactly.

At the sight of the large van, Gajeel placed me down onto the floor gently. Lucy embraced me in a warm hug, excited about the aspect on going somewhere near the beach. She'd also learned from Mirajane that they would be staying in a resort, one rated 5 star.

I looked around me, but Gajeel had escaped from my vision—probably to talk with the other dragon slayers (other than Wendy, who was in the girl group).

Hand in hand, Lucy and I walked nearer to Mirajane and Lisanna, who were busy making seating plans for the journey. I shuddered—and I could feel Lucy nervous too. With our past knowledge, Mira would probably make mages sit with another who they were "shipped" with. Whatever that meant; I'd never come across anything like that when reading books.

"Okay!" Mira called out to everyone, who hadn't bothered to turn at the sound of her voice. "Everyone!" She then proceeded to roar, on the verge of turning into her Satan Soul form. Luckily, the mages invited to the trip had decided to listen.