Chapter 21- The Stream

I run ahead to where the loud scream came from. I see my mother doubled over in pain. One arm over her mouth the other stretched, almost as if she was reaching out for something. She continues to cry. I look over what she's reaching towards, I see a stream. In the stream, was a body, laying face down in the water.

"Oh god no!" I cry as James and Beau run down the drop just before us to the stream, splashing through the water to the body. They turn it over.

I look down at my feet to hide myself from the horrific sight about to be seen. At my feet, lies a hand gun, hidden under some leaves. Whoever was in the water, this gun was the cause of their death.

I hear gasps of horror and look back up to find everyone with their mouths to the floor. The body was Craig. "He has a bullet through his head." Shouts James. "Either he shot himself or someone put it there." says Beau, dragging the body from the water. Beau shakes himself off and climbs up the drop, wrapping his arms around me."are you ok babe?" He asks. And for once I think I was, for someone who just saw a dead body. The man who tortured me and put me through pain for years was finally dead and gone. But where is Mark. "Mark! Where are you" shouts my mother, in a sorrowful tone.

"What have you found?" asks a policeman emerging from behind some trees. Skip points to the body laying on the land where the water meets the shore. "Are ye ok?" I ask the brooks family. "I mean, he was your dad." I continue. "After what he did to you Cara, I could never look at him like I did before ever again." responds Luke. "I'm so sorry Cara, this is all my fault." replies Gina, throwing her arms around me. "It's ok Gina, everything will be ok." I say, giving her a tight squeeze.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see the police, carry the body away on a stretcher, covered by a white sheet. Craig's lifeless arm dangles out the side and I notice red marks on the palms of his hands, almost like a type of burn.