Chapter 6

Solar handed me a dress, very much the opposite of hers. While her outfit screamed desire and seduction; the dress that was chosen for me screamed innocence and natural beauty. It was a vintage white lace dress that ended just above my knees. The outfit was meant to be completed with a pair of white heals but much to Solar's dismay I could barely walk in them. We settled on a pair of white flats. Although they did not look as beautiful as the heels, at least I managed to walk in them. My neck was decorated with a choker. It was made from black lace, a red ruby lay in the centre and with other smaller rubies which hung from silver chains. It was beautiful; there was no doubt about that. It reminded me so much of Taehyung; the red hair and his evident love for spilling blood. Perhaps that was why he had chosen it for me; it definitely did not go with the dress as it gave off a dark aura of power and accented my neck. It adorned my neck like a scar; claiming me and reminding me that freedom was just a magnificent painting which I had created. It was very much alive in me; it shook my soul as I longed for it yet it filled me with melancholy as I knew freedom was little more than a painting which I had imagined.

My hair was curled even more than it was naturally, and left to cascade down my shoulders, outlining the shape of my face. I flinched as Solar painted my face with a thin coat of makeup. Thankfully she understood that I was not used to wearing makeup. Mother was always too busy to put makeup on and after father's death she stopped caring about her appearance. I never learnt how to apply makeup and it never bothered me at all. On special occasions such as valley parades, Hakyeon would visit, bringing with him, an array of skin products and makeup which he had stolen from his sister. Hakyeon would always give up on me, saying that I moved too much and probably wouldn't even stay at the parade for long; so there was no point in spending an hour on my appearance. Hakyeon would then settle for Leo, knowing full well that if he begged enough Leo would allow him to. Leo ended up wearing eyeliner to every parade, ignoring all the looks of judgment because he had made Hakyeon happy.

Solar grabbed onto my hand and held it tight. Perhaps it was to calm my rapid shaking but somehow I knew it was because she was frightened of the people who we would be dining with. She had described them to me with such disgust and loathing that the thought of spilling their blood seemed most appealing to me, it was not like they hadn't done the same to my kind before. Together we walked down the corridor as I admired its beauty. The corridor was lit up by candles and I watched how the flames danced; wishing to be free and longing to be a part of the other flames. The walls were made from old grey stone which had gracefully been put together and gave the corridor a somewhat regal appearance. While the candles adorned the walls and the velvet flooring gave it the appearance of luxury; the most spectacular feature were the portraits of Taehyung's family. They covered the walls, showing power and grandeur in every way with the most recent being a portrait of Taehyung himself. His blue eyes were painted to be even brighter and more beautiful while his hair was dark and almost natural. It was a striking difference from his blood red hair but it suited him and almost made him appear to be gentle. We reached the end of the passage and I turned around knowing Hakyeon would have fawned over the site of the walkway, comparing it to one of the many medieval historical novels he had read.

We stood in front of large oak doors, which had been delicately engraved with animals that I had never seen and we had long since forgotten of their existence. The animals were linked together with vines and thorns which graced the door with a magnificent appearance yet there was something surprisingly sinister. At the centre, a woman sat holding a rope which connected to every vine and wrapped around the necks of the beasts. Solar knocked on the door with the golden door knocker and she wished me well, saying that she would visit me later. Solar gracefully stepped to the side as the doors were opened and she bowed to Taehyung. He smiled at her affectionately in return; perhaps he did care for someone.