Chapter 14

The chandelier swung above my head and I found a sense of peace at the sight of it. I could feel the stares of the nobles' burn holes through me, leaving me with an unsettling feeling as I shivered, loathing every one of them. They looked at me as if I was a dessert and to them I probably was.

Taehyung sat upon a velvet seat, much like a throne in appearance. He was dressed magnificently, in colours of rich gold and a dark midnight blue, a few shades darker than his eyes. His hair was no longer red and it came as a surprise because Taehyung had had red hair for as long as anyone could remember. His once blood red hair was replaced with a white so pure as if he was hiding the evidence of bloodshed with lies and deceit.

I stood beside him, loathing the feeling of the cold metal around my neck. The collar was made from gold and it sat heavily around my neck as a reminder that although I had had some freedom, I would never entirely be free as long as Taehyung wanted my soul. I was dressed up in clothes that no human would ever be able to afford let alone find the materials for. It made me feel guilty, as if I was being forced to give up my humanity. The midnight blue gown fell to the ground around me in ruffles, sprinkles with gold dust as if the dress itself was a representation of the night sky. I kept my head down only picking it up to glance at the chandelier that hung from the ceiling or the giant grandfather clock, hoping that it would soon be time to leave.

That morning, Taehyung had woken me; I sat up uncomfortable at the feeling of the hard mattress. He gestured for me to follow Solar, alerting me that he had a very important event to attend in the evening but as one of the nobles he had to arrive far earlier so that important news could be discusses before the banquet. Solar made sure I was ready on time; it took hours to make sure I looked the best that I could possibly look. My hair was done up, leaving my neck and shoulders exposed, shivering at the delicate touch of the cold air.

"Why must I go with if it is important business?" I asked Taehyung as I stood before him, hoping that I would be able to get out of going.

"The best of the best will be present and as my pet you are required to accompany me." He smiled and he moved forward before opening the silver box that he had been holding. "This time you will not embarrass me, I am allowing you to attend the meeting before hand because I think you might find some of what's discussed beneficial."

He picked up the collar that lay upon a velvet bed in the silver box, and he clasped it around my neck, admiring how the collar defined my long neck he complimented me graciously "Gold is a good colour on you."

I did not protest, I could survive a week of his punishment and I knew that it would buy time for Nari and I to find the dagger that was so very important. I rolled my eyes before smiling "Thank you and white is a good hair colour for you." We said little else as he left to give Jimin his instructions for the day.

When we had arrived at the meeting, Taehyung held me close and instructed me to never look at anyone in the eye. Taehyung greeted the other monsters; all of them seemed far older than him other than Jin and a man with eyes which were almost purple. I felt as if I was placed in the spotlight as all eyes were turned to look at me. I soon knew why when I had looked at the other pets that had been dragged with.

The other humans glared at me with envy and pure hatred, wishing that they had been given half of what I had. They wore little and their bodies were on show, what they wore was nothing more than pieces of material that were sown together. I could understand why they hated me. I was dressed as though I was a monster myself, even my collar made the other humans bow their heads, as if I was superior to them.