Chapter 12

Hoseok led them through the deserted landscape, scarcely stopping unless it was necessary. It felt like they had been walking endlessly in circles and with every identical desolated building that they passed, Leo found himself questioning his sanity. The sound of the trickling of water from a nearby stream made them delusional and left them craving for water to quench their thirst and to stop the pain that had begun to develop. They knew that the water in the stream was undrinkable and they did not dare drink the water which Leo had claimed for Hakyeon. They longed for rain to pour down in torrents and to provide them with fresh water and to cool them down even if it was just for a few minutes. They walked quickly, walking along shaded areas so as to avoid the scorching heat that burnt through their clothing.

As they traveled on, Hoseok spoke much, as if he was not exhausted and dying of thirst. Leo found Hoseok to be different from him in many ways. Hoseok loved to talk and he loved to express himself; that much became evident to Leo as they traveled. Hoseok spoke little of the revolution and Leo suspected it was because Hoseok did not trust them yet. Leo said nothing, knowing that he himself was yet to trust Hoseok. They spoke of trivial things that held little importance to Leo, but Leo spoke nonetheless knowing that Hakyeon would have found the topic interesting.

Leo held onto Hakyeon, stopping to give him what little water they had left, hoping and praying that Hakyeon would wake up. Leo's back and arms had begun to ache, and Leo would sway back and forth, unsteady on his feet as the hours went by. Leo could only carry Hakyeon so far before he himself was exhausted. Still Leo walked on, refusing to let Hoseok or Myungsoo carry Hakyeon. He slumped forward, careful not to drop Hakyeon. His shirt had long since been discarded and torn up as it was placed on the bite mark that scarred Hakyeon's shoulder. His shirt acted as a makeshift bandage, working to stop the bleeding that had discoloured Hakyeon's tanned shoulder.

Myungsoo spoke out with a raspy voice as he begged to know how much longer their journey would take. Myungsoo had been raised by one of the village's elders and he had never experienced hardships like Leo and Hoseok had. In many ways Leo pitied Myungsoo and he regretted that he had ruined Myungsoo's once perfect life by dragging him along. They did not walk for much longer as half an hour later, they stopped before their destination.

A wall of tall trees brushed the sky as their branches blew with the wind. It was unlike anything Leo had ever seen before and a complete contrast to the deserted land which they had roamed for days. Hoseok walked into one of the trees which had been hollowed out and was just big enough for one person to step through. Leo followed shortly, moving Hakyeon so that Hakyeon was wrapped around him, making it easier for them to both enter. Hoseok had removed the bark from the other side of the tree, it acted as a door but if one did not know of its existence they would walk past without a second glance.

Behind the door lay what seemed to be paradise. A village was built, hidden within a forest and extended underground where their underwater lake supplied them with water. The village underground was lit from the energy which the sun had supplied. The idea of solar power seemed foreign to Leo and although Hakyeon had proposed the idea of solar power to the villagers, his ideas were ignored. Back at their village once Nightfall was upon them, the whole village would be asleep or they would huddle around candles spending time with their families. The village behind the trees, housed hundreds of people, who had almost all stopped to gaze at the new people who they had never seen before. Hoseok glared at them and they all dispersed, allowing Hoseok space to lead Leo forward.