It's about damn time

Alex

I stood there, dumbfounded. How is this even possible?

"Well," he asked me, starting to grow impatient.

"It's nothing," I answered.

"Huh," he asked, confused.

"I think it's broken," I said, showing him the test. He took it and looked at me. There was one line in each window.

"How the fuck is that possible?"

"Got me," I shrugged. Okay, not only did I not get a positive or negative, but a neutral? Really? Ugh, I thought to myself.

He picked up another test and handed it to me. I took it and went back into the bathroom. Again, I peed on the stick and waited once more. Ryan decided not to wait outside this time and came in as I expected. We waited, looking at the test. As the urine flowed through the test, a line appeared dark, and we waited. Then it happened.

We looked at it, then at each other. Then we ran to the bedroom and picked up the test that I just took and saw the same thing, but we missed something with the first test. Yes, there was a dark line, and next to it was a faint line.

I took test after test, and all revealed the same thing. We didn't want to get our hopes up only for them being false, which happened all the other times. As we looked at each test, Ryan's cell phone went off. He looked at the caller ID, and it was the hospital. He answered it, thinking something happened to Elena and the baby, but it was Dr. Monroe.

All I could hear on his end was a bunch, "Uh huh's," and him thanking the doctor. He ended the call and looked at me with a blank expression.

"Well, what did the doctor say?" I asked him impatiently.

"When they ran tests, they ran a pregnancy test as part of the blood panel, and it's a routine test, especially with women," he explained.

"And," I asked him.

"Well, all the tests you just took were correct."

"What?" I asked with confusion.

"Alex, they're positive, and the doctor just confirmed it. We left before we found out the results because they didn't include them."

"Are you saying what I think you're saying," I asked him.

He grabbed me and spun me around, setting me down, "Baby, we're having a baby!"

It shocked me. All the times of being disappointed finally ended. I wrapped my arms around his neck and hugged him tight as he hugged me back.

"We're having a baby," I whispered as tears fell down my cheeks.

He pulled away and looked at me. "Hey, why are you crying?"

"Because I thought it would never happen, so I gave up thinking it ever would."

"But I never did. I had hoped, but if it didn't, it wouldn't have mattered to me. Because you're my family," he said, wiping the tears away.

I hugged him again. "I love you, Ryan."

"I love you, too, Alex."

After all this time, we finally got our wish. We were finally having a baby.

The next morning neither of us went into work but went to the hospital to see Jordan and Elena. On our way there, Ryan called Frazier and Marissa to meet us there.

We were so excited that we wanted to tell everyone. I know it was early, but neither of us could keep it quiet. We pulled up to the hospital and got out of the car. Ryan grabbed my hand, and we headed inside.