Graduation, part one

Alex

We all had one last final to take, and all of us were busy studying. Christine kept the flow of coffee coming as we prepared for our future. I had to admit; I freaked out. Okay, I flipped the fuck out. It happened one night as we study.

Everything was quiet as we jotted notes down and checked our textbooks. We had already completed our other finals. As we sat around in the living room, I got up to refill my mug of fresh coffee. My next final would be a doozy. As I came back to sit down next to Ryan, I stopped at the doorway.

I had been so focused on my classes these past weeks with studying. I think I blanked on it altogether. It hit me like a ton of bricks. The thought of not having anything to fall back on, knowing I couldn't hide behind school anymore or that now I had to deal with my future, which included getting married.

Yep, I freaked. I let go of my coffee cup, making it hit the floor with a crash and coffee going everywhere. It caused everyone to look at me, which caused me to panic.

"Alex," Ryan asked, saying my name, which felt like I heard it through a tunnel. I went into shock. To this day, I don't know why. Everyone got up, making their way over to me, with Ryan grabs my arms, giving me a light shake.

I snapped my head to him, then started rambling, "Oh god, I can't do this."

"What are you talking about?" He asked, confused.

"This! I can't graduate!"

He let go of my arms and stared at me as I walked past him and paced as I rambled, "Don't you see? If I take this last final, then I'm done with school! Then that means getting a job, getting married, having kids, and dying! I can't do this!"

"Um, what's wrong with Alex," Frazier asked in a whispered to Ryan.

Ryan looked at him, then realized what he needed to do. "Give me a minute."

As I rambled, he slowly walked over to me, and I looked into his eyes. "Oh, god, you will kill me. You were waiting till I let my guard down. There aren't any woods, here. Please don't bury me in a shallow grave."

"What the hell is she talking about," Jordan asked Frazier in a hushed tone, who just shrugged confusedly.

As I rambled, taking my eyes off him, he put his hands on the side of my face, staring deep into my eyes as I trailed off. Then it happened. He smashed his lips into mine. I tried to fight him off, but he deepened the kiss until I melted into it and reached up, placing my hands on his arms.

They all watched as he held the kiss until my body relaxed. Once he felt my heart rate slow, he pulled back.

"Sorry, you were rambling, and that's the only way I knew to get you to stop."

I looked at him dreamily, "That's what happened the first time you kissed me."

"Sometimes you have to revisit the past to calm the future," he said with a smile. "Feel better?"

"Much," I told him.

"Good, now, let's clean up the mess you made and get more coffee, so we can go back to studying."

I nodded as I followed him to the broken coffee mug and coffee all over the floor. We quickly cleaned it up, then went back into the kitchen and retrieved six cups with fresh coffee, putting them in the tray and carrying them back to everyone.

Ryan and I sat back down and went back to studying. I guess I was dealing with what many people deal with, the concept of being an adult and not a kid anymore. It was scary.

I finished my last final in record time and got up, taking it to the professor. I couldn't wait to find out the score, so I stood there while they graded it. I know I got everything correct, but I just wanted to make sure with a confirmation from the professor.