Epilogue

I woke up and whined softly as I covered my eyes from how bright it was.

"Button!" Someone gasped and I immediately know it was Gerard.

"Daddy," I whimpered, squinting my eyes open.

"Let me go get the nurse and everyone else," he said.

I shook my head and held his hand.

"I wanna talk first," I said.

Gerard sighed quietly and sat in the chair beside my bed, his thumb rubbing against the back of my hand softly. We were in a small hospital room and I was wearing a gown while connected to some wires.

"I love you," I cried. "Daddy, I love you so much, I wanna come home."

Gerard's eyes watered as he pulled something from his pocket. I saw it was my comic book and I noticed some dried up, wrinkled spots where Gerard must've cried on it while I was asleep.

"This was in the pocket of your onesie," he said. "I...I don't know if I can fully forgive you for what you did."

My lip quivered and he sighed.

"I can ask mom if we can enroll you into a high school in New York," he said. "But we're gonna have to have a very serious conversation."

"I know, I'm sorry," I said. "I love you."

"I love you too, Button," he said.

The door opened and my mom gasped.

"When did he wake up?" She asked.

"Just a minute ago, I was just about to go get you," Gerard said.

"Mikey, get the nurse, she's right outside," she said.

My mom handed Gerard some coffee and smiled at me.

"How are you doing, sweetheart?" She asked.

"M-my tummy and my throat hurts," I said.

"The doctor said that would be normal," she replied.

The door opened and both a doctor and a nurse walked in. They did everything that they needed to, asking me all sorts of questions about how I feel.

"We're going to keep you here overnight for observation," he said. "We'll be back tomorrow morning to check on you and hopefully you'll be able to go home. Have a good night."

They walked out and I sniffled softly.

"Well, it's getting late, we should probably head back home and let you get some rest," my mom said.

"Can I stay here with him?" Gerard asked, holding onto my hand.

My mom nodded and she came over to kiss my forehead. They all said goodbye and my aunt gave me a little stuffed bear with a pink shirt that had 'Get Well Soon!' on it. She felt really bad, she kept crying as she apologized. When they all finally left, I scooted over and patted the spot beside me but Gerard just shook his head.

"You scared me," he said. "I was only home for about twenty minutes when mom got the phone call that an ambulance came to take you to the hospital. She was panicked and didn't really tell us what happened. I thought...I thought that maybe you might've hurt yourself because of what I said."

"I'm sorry," I apologized. "I didn't know it was pineapple, it didn't look like it because it was just tiny chunks in syrup. My lips still feel all swollen, like I got lip injections."

Gerard chuckled softly and squeezed my hand.

"Well, if it helps I still think you look beautiful," he said.

I know I didn't, my mouth probably looked all weird and red.

"Daddy, you can't sleep sitting up like that. Sleep up here?" I offered. "We can put a pillow between us."

Gerard sighed before laying up on the bed beside me. I went to move the pillow between us but he denied. Instead, he wrapped his arms around me.

"I don't know if we can ever get back to the way we were before," he whispered and I felt a pang in my heart. "But I'm willing to try to get close."

"I won't do it again," I promise.

Gerard looked at me like he didn't really believe me.

"You broke my heart," he whispered.

His eyes watered and I kissed his cheek softly.

"I-I didn't mean to," I whimpered. "I'm sorry. Will you ever trust me again?"

"I don't know," he muttered. "You just keep fucking doing this shit. You'd have to work for it."

"I will," I promised. "I'll do anything. What can I do?"

"Just get some rest," he said.

I sniffled, feeling him run my fingers through my hair as I fell asleep. I knew that this didn't mean he was mine again but I was gonna work so hard for him to trust me again.