8: A Clue.

*****

The classes ended on a whim. As soon as the teacher left, Sonoko proceeded to Nicholas’ seat. No wonder, Nicholas was handsome, and we all know Sonoko.

“HELLO HIGASHI-KUN!” She called in a weird accent, and beamed a smile.

Nicholas smiled back. “Hi!” he replied with the same mirth.

“I’m Sonoko! And this is Ran, my best friend!” She pulled Ran closer to her.

“Hello, Higashi-kun.” Ran awkwardly said, and secretly glanced at Shinichi. Nicholas noticed this, and secretly smiled.

“Aren’t you all hungry?” Sonoko asked. “Let’s go to the cafeteria! My treat, as celebration of Higashi-kun’s arrival!” And without even waiting for their replies, she walked towards the door.

Ran once again darted a glance at each of them before following Sonoko. They were several meters away when she notice that Shinichi didn’t follow them.

“Hey! What is that mystery geek still doing? Ran, go call your husband!” Sonoko commanded while grinning.

Ran seemed embarrassed as shades of pink flushed slowly on her face. She look at Nicholas shyly.

“Mou! Sonoko, Shinichi is not my husband!”

“Oh?” Sonoko mischievously smirked. “I don’t remember mentioning Kudo-kun’s name as your husband.” And she laughed slyly.

Ran’s face blushed deeply. “Sonoko!” And she walked away first.

“Hey, Ran!” Sonoko called to the blushing Ran. “Ooops..did I tease too far?” She asked, glancing at Nicholas.

He chuckled. “Well, I guess. Isn’t she Kudo’s girlfriend?” He asked, laden with seriousness.

“Oh no! Not a girlfriend! She’s Kudo-kun’s wife! W-I-F-E!” She shook her head. “They’re together since childhood, and everybody knows they like each other! Why don’t they date already?!” She mumbled, not really directing the question to Nicholas.

“Ohh…” He slowly said, and Sonoko didn’t notice that Nicholas’s eyes gleamed differently.

I see. So this is why, Shi.

“Let’s go and catch up to Ran!” Sonoko held his hands, and was about to run, when he stopped her.

“What about him?” He pointed at the young detective, who was still sitting in his chair, seemingly absorbed in the book he was reading.

“Hmph! Leave that irresponsible guy! He didn’t even run after her wife! Let’s go!”

Nicholas gave a quick look at Kudo, before following Sonoko to the cafeteria.

*****

At the cafeteria…

“Higashi-kun, if you don’t mind me asking…Why did you move here to Japan? London is such a pretty place.” Ran asked curiously.

They were currently enjoying their snacks, which composed of sandwiches, pizza and drinks. Sonoko gallantly bought them all, true to her words.

Nicholas smiled before answering. He had this distant look on his face. “I have to accompany someone here. She didn’t really asked for my presence, but knowing her, I can’t just let her be.”

Ran’s eyes sparkled. “Is she your girlfriend?!”

“Uh…no.”

“Why?!” She showed a disappointed face.

“She likes someone else, though she’s not admitting it. Such a hardhead.”

“Oh…sorry.”

“Why are you apologizing? It’s not like I like her that way. She’s my bestfriend.”

Ran’s gloomy face brightened a bit.

“Don’t worry, Higashi-kun! I’ll be here for you!” Sonoko cheered.

Nicholas chuckled at her. “Thanks.”

“Don’t mind Sonoko, Higashi-kun. She’s always like that.”

“Don’t worry, I don’t mind.” 

“But, where is she now Higashi-kun? Is she not going to attend school as well?”

“She need not to. She’s ---“

Before Nicholas could finish his sentence, Shinichi arrived at their table, panting.

“Shinichi?” Ran inquired, a bit baffled by his arrival.

“You need to come to me right now!” He darted a very serious stare at the new student. Nicholas stared back in the same seriousness, then after a second, he sighed and stood up.

“What’s the matter, Kudo?”

“Not here, come with me.” Then he strode off, not even giving the girls a time to process what just happened.

“Sorry girls. The detective is calling me.” He smiled as he left. “And thanks for the food!” He waved a hand as he walked towards the direction that the detective went to.

The girls just stared at their leaving figure, utterly confused.

*****