22: Oh God, help me.

*****

Shinichi's eyes darted glances all over the place. A tinge of panic can be glimpsed in his cobalt blue eyes.

'Where are they? Did they leave?'

He was out in the booth area now. He started running towards the school gate.

He paused for a second to catch his breath. He was panting. Again, he scanned his surroundings. A surge of relief flooded his system when he saw them walking to the exit. He puffed out a breath before he readied himself again for a run. He needs to catch up.

"Haibara!" he exclaimed as he caught her arm.

Shiho looked at him in shock, before she composed herself in a millisecond. Nicholas glared at him.
She yanked her arm away from his grasp, before giving him a glare. He stared at her in return.

"H-Haibara..." he called.

Shiho's eyes seem to gleam differently from his view, but it disappeared immediately that he had trouble deducing what does that gleam means. He took a step towards her, and tried to reach her hand again, but Nicholas stopped him.

Nicholas stood defensively in front of the scientist. He gives him a meaningful glare.

'Too late for that detective.'

Shinichi gave him a pleading look in return.
"Nicholas."

"What?"

"Let me talk to her please." He glanced at her. She just emotionlessly looked at him.

"It's Shi's choice." He seriously said before looking at his bestfriend, silently asking for an answer.

"No." she whispered.

Shinichi showed a look of defeat. "Haibara, please. Let's talk."

"We are talking now." she nonchalantly stated.

He groaned in frustration. "Well, not this kind of talk. Let's talk, as in...serious talk...alone."

Shiho looked at him, thinking. Weighing her decision.

"Please... five minutes will do. I just... need to tell you something." he pleaded.

Shiho glanced at Nicholas like she was asking for his opinion. The guy just nodded his head. Shiho heave out a sigh, before putting her one hand on her waist.

"Okay." She answered.

Shinichi's face brightened at her answer. He gave a meaningful glance at Nicholas before he swiftly and tactfully reached out for her hand and started to lead her outside of the school gate.

Shiho's eyes widened for a second at the sudden skin contact, but was immediately replaced by her poker facade. She let him lead her.

*****

It was getting late. The sun was already setting, and the sky was slowly becoming dark.

They were walking silently on the side of the road, with him dragging her. The silence was awkward and uncomfortable. The only source of sound are the passing noise of a few cars.

Shiho felt strange. The detective was strangely silent, which was so unlike him. She tried to catch a glimpse of his face, and she was surprised that he looks pissed and nervous at the same time.

She let out a breath, and rolled her eyes too. She was getting a little impatient too.

She tugged his hand a bit to catch his attention before she speaks. "Hey Kudo-kun. Where exactly are you planning to go? We are actually getting nowhere, if you haven't noticed." She made it sure to hint the sarcasm on her voice.