I Lose It All

Well, I passed the audition without a hitch.

Maddie wouldn't shut up about it, but I just think that nobody signed up for it. Besides, it gave me more reason to strum my lovely guitar, so I'm not complaining. I just couldn't decide on what song to perform though. The problems with having such an awesome taste in music.

I spent the rest of the week staring down my mother and avoiding Sean, writing songs and creeping on certain bands that need to come to my city and perform, like now. Kevin kept texting me random pictures of puppies, and Maddie kept texting me random comments of how cute Kevin is, and I texted them both back an angry meme. Mike didn't really annoy me much, seeing as he was spending all his time with his girlfriend. His facebook page was filled with pictures of them both----it was so sweet I almost got a cavity. Shane sent me stuff too, but I didn't mind it, because he only sent me new music he found, and to be honest, he had amazing taste.

"Skye."

I sighed, turning from locking the door. "Yes, mom?"

She ignored my reluctance. "Here." She handed me a package.

"You know that my birthday was two months ago, right?"

"And I didn't get you a real present," she replied, gesturing for me to take the package. "I was in Nova Scotia that time."

I sighed, reaching out for it. She was sure trying hard. "Beats headphones?" I said incredulously. They were even in that electric blue I liked.

"You like music, right? And they said this was a great gift for teenagers." She smiled, as if accomplished something.

"You asked the geeks at Best Buy what to get for your own daughter?" 

She frowned. "I asked them for their opinion. Skye, what are you always so upset about?"

I shook my head, handing it back to her. "Nothing. You can take this back. Don't waste money on me."

"Skye, it's a present. Why are you always so cold to your own mother?"

I stared at her. "Maybe because my mother spends more time out of town than in her own house with her own daughter?"

"But aren't I home right now?"

"Until when?" I challenged.

She stayed quiet. I smiled without humour. "Don't try to bribe me, mom."

"I'm not bribing you. I'm trying, here, Skye. What do you want me to do?"

"I don't know! But if buying me expensive stuff and pretending we're best buddies is your way of trying, it's not working!"

"Don't raise your voice at me! What is wrong with you lately? Is it that boyfriend of yours?"

"It's not----I don't even----" I glared at her. "We broke up already. Okay? Jesus."

"What is going on here?"

My father had decided to leave his little office, standing in the middle of the hall, watching us a bit curiously and a bit apprehensively. He didn't like getting in the middle of our crossfire, but he didn't like loud noises either. 

"Skye, can't you be a little nicer to your mother?"

I stared at them both. "Dad. You're a fucking liar."

"Skye!" My mother looked appalled at my language.

I scoffed. "As if you don't say worse to your coworkers." I started to walk past them and their frozen shocked faces. "Don't make promises you can't keep. Didn't you teach me that?" I threw at them over my shoulder.