Part 32: Empty

The next day, after school, I dropped my siblings off at home, then drove over to Mackenzie's apartment building. I wasn't sure why I decided to go there, but she had given me a key, so I felt obligated to visit at least one last time before her landlord found out she was missing. I found the entrance to her apartment and slid the key into the lock and opened the door. I don't know what I expected to see when I entered, but it was devoid of life, and I was disappointed. I stood there for a moment, and looked around the empty room.

"Mackenzie." I said to myself. I wanted to say her name even though I knew she could no longer hear me.

I took the key to her apartment that Mackenzie had given me when she had first bought the apartment, and placed it on the table in the middle of the room. She had given a key to each one of her friends. There was no point in keeping the key now. I turned to leave, but looked back one last time at the table I had placed the key on. I remembered when Mackenzie, Jordan, Elizabeth, Ken, Casper and me had sat at that very table. We used to come here all the time, since Mackenzie was the only one who didn't have parents living with her. This was our hang out place. We were all so happy and close. I started to cry again. Those days were over. I had cried so much in the past few days that my eyes were beginning to hurt, but I couldn't help it.

"I'm sorry, Mackenzie, but I can't do it." I said. "I'm not brave like you. I can't become a demon hunter. I'm sorry for being so useless!" I cried.