Part 112: No Mistakes

I had a perfect life. I truly felt that way when I sat next to my now greyed wife on our porch. I honestly could not believe how lucky I was sometimes. It was as if someone had planned out my whole life for me, knowing exactly what I wanted, and when I wanted it. We had moved to the countryside after all of our grandchildren were born. The city life had become too fast for us. There was nothing about our lives that I would have changed for the world.

Emily and I were both retired now, and living off of our savings. Our love life, as unusual as it may sound, never seemed to die down. Emily and I were perfectly content, even with each other. As we neared geriatric age, I could feel our bodies slowing down. I now couldn't drive, and Emily wore big glasses that merely improved her fading sight slightly. We sat on the porch of our country house, sipped tea with our shaking hands, and felt the warm breeze of summer blow on our baggy faces. It almost seemed strange how perfect things always seemed to be. People all around us seemed to always be yearning for something more, money, power, a more attractive lover, adventure, but not Emily or me.

My life had been pretty quiet for the most part, but that was ok. I never needed an adventure to be happy. I worked as a teacher at a local high school, and Emily was the school counselor at the same school. Money was often tight, but we made it work. We never felt the need to buy expensive things, or go on fancy trips anyways. We watched or little Nora grow up into a strong woman. That was all the excitement I needed, to be a father, and eventually a grandfather. Though Emily's appearance was now different, she would always look the same to me. I still remembered her once red hair that now glistened silver around her face. Her eyes were now a duller shade of green, but they still sparkled to me. I never made a wish that didn't eventually come true, and I never did anything that I looked back on with remorse. Everything was as it should be, and I was satisfied. I never had any regrets.

There's no point in having any regrets at all, for everything that has already happened was always meant to be.

So love yourself because there are no mistakes.