Chapter 1

The superintendent handed the brown file over the desk to the pale, shaking boy.
"Recognise any of these names, Mr Jeon?" He quizzed, eyebrows raised menacingly. He folded his hands on the table and leaned forward.

Jungkook visibly gulped and read down the list, trying hard to ignore the smirk on his interrogator's face. The names meant nothing to him.

Kim Seokjin

Min Yoongi

Kim Namjoon

Jung Hoseok

Kim Taehyung

Park Jimin

"No, sir. I don't know any of these people," he said, his voice wavering in panic and fear. 

The superintendent nodded. "Yet," he smirked.

Jungkook must have looked as confused as he felt because the superintendent tapped the file and suddenly became deadly serious.

"These names are your ticket out of here. If you do it right, that is, kid. Look: what I'm going to tell you is strictly between us and Tuan. Got it?"

Jungkook didn't know who Tuan was but nodded vigorously at the stern looking officer of the law. "Of course, sir! Anything I can do, sir!" He cried eagerly, overjoyed that he could put this behind him without his mum finding out. But he was anxious as to what this plan would entail.

"These names here are a group of people who we believe form the gang Bangtan Boys or BTS. An apt name as they are certainly tough to catch- bulletproof, as it were. They attend the private boys school near your house. Now here's the genius bit. You are going to go to that school and find out whatever you can about them. If you can, make friends with them. 'Join the gang'," he explained, stretching out in his chair.

Jungkook's eyes widened in surprise. "But I already go to-"

The superintendent waved his hand dismissively. "Yes, yes, I know about all that, leave it with me. I've not left anything to chance. This is my top case, my pride. I will catch them. And you will help me." His smile turned devilish.

Jungkook couldn't help but smile inside at the spark of excitement the superintendent seemed to get when talking about the case.

"Anyway! You will report everything you find out back to Tuan. Listen in to conversations - I have equipment you can use for that - but do anything you can. I need to catch them in the act. Up to now there's been no solid evidence, I can't convict them. But you are my new pawn in the game."

Jungkook frowned in thought. "What if they find me out?" He queried.

The superintendent paused with his polystyrene coffee cup halfway to his mouth. "You call me," he said before taking a sip. "And I'll pull you out."

"Is it really that simple?" Asked Jungkook, wringing his hands under the table.

The superintendent laughed, rocking back on his chair. "Simple?!" He guffawed. "Nothing in this world is simple, kid. And this is about as twisted as it gets. These boys are... Well to be honest, I don't know what they're like. They seem to be little angels for society. But I'm not taking any chances."

This set Jungkook thinking. "What have they done? And how can you know so little about them if they're just normal high school students?"

"You'd be surprised how invisible they can be. No traceable social media, no suspicious phone activity... It appears that one or two of them know a bit about computers. Hackers. Be careful with the equipment I give you. I don't know how good they are at hacking electrical systems, but I can only guess at a lot. In regard to what they've done, it's mainly theft, use of firearms- although I should warn you, last week a well-known gang leader was discovered at the old furniture warehouse dead, possibly this group are the perpetrators-, threats to prominent businessmen, you know the like. Now," he said and downed his coffee in one gulp.