Chapter 28

Jungkook was sat on his bed thinking over what Seokjin had said to him in the cafe.

"The pieces are all coming together and you're a part of the puzzle."

"You have the power to save us, Jungkook. And I think you know it."

What did he mean by that? He must know about him being an infiltrator or his collaboration with Mark and the Police HQ... Any of that was enough to damn him, so why was he so glad about it? Surely if the gang was going to end that way, he knew they'd all be arrested. He couldn't understand how his betrayal of them was a good thing. Unless... what if there was something else?

He lay back on his bed, his shirt riding up a little, but he didn't care. He just wished he had the answers to all these questions. A knock on his door halted his thought train.

"Come in," he called, not moving from his position.

He heard the door open and a deep chuckle. "Trying to tempt me?"

He sat bolt upright at the sound of Taehyung's voice and jumped up. "Oh, er, hi Taehyung," he grinned, his cheeks heating up. "What are you doing here?"
Taehyung pouted. "You don't want me here?"

"I, er, no it's just-"

Taehyung laughed. "Chill, it's a flying visit. I just came to give you this," he held out an envelope exactly like the one Seokjin had given him.

At the confused face, Taehyung explained. "A while ago, before you were a member, I did a job by myself and I split the money with the whole gang and saved a bit for the voice had helped me out during that warehouse job. I think, deep down, I knew it was you since the day you joined the gang. And I saved it for a good time to give it to you. Now seemed like a good time," he sat down on the bed next to Jungkook and pressed the envelope into his palm.

"But I can't take your money! You earned this!" Jungkook protested, trying to push the envelope back to Taehyung.

Taehyung shook his head. "Without you that time, I wouldn't have gotten through without getting caught. Namjoon couldn't have accessed the cameras quickly enough even if he'd tried. If it weren't for you... I could be dead, Kookie," he pulled Jungkook into an appreciative hug. It was a little awkward as the elder wasn't used to hugs, but as soon as the younger's arms wrapped around his torso, he relaxed into it. As he did so, he slowly sneaked the envelope back into Jungkook's hand and closed his fist around it tightly.

"Take it," he smiled a little. He only ever smiled with Jungkook. The boy just made him happy. Happier than anyone else in the world had ever made him. His life had been pretty miserable until then.

"Tae, don't you need it for your rent?" Jungkook asked worriedly. He didn't want him to give away precious rent money to someone who didn't need it.

Taehyung grimaced. "I have another job to do tonight," he revealed. "I'll pay my rent with that."

Jungkook didn't like the thought of that. "Didn't you ask me to help me with those before?"

"That was before.. you know. I don't want to put you in danger, Kookie," he ruffled the younger's hair.

"But why do you get to choose to put yourself in danger but I don't get the choice?" Jungkook frowned. It didn't sound equal to him. He didn't want to be protected. He wanted to help Taehyung too. He'd said he would.

Taehyung sighed and stood up. "Jungkook, you are the only thing in the world that has made me smile so much. I don't want to lose you when I've only just experienced what we can be."

"Tae-"

"No. Don't argue with me on this one, okay? It's an easy job, I'll be fine."

"What is it?"