Isla de Muerta

Drew's POV:

I take a deep breath of the salty morning air. After the storm last night, a fog rolled in and it has yet to burn off with the morning sun. As Loyalty drifts slowly through the water, the crew gathers at the rails to watch as we pass the wreckage of dozens of ships.

"Puts a chill in the bones how many honest sailors have been claimed by this passage," Gibbs speaks up.

I turn to Jack beside me. "Keep the heading." I murmur. He nods and moves to the helm as I descend the quarter deck stairs to stand beside Will and Gibbs.

"Drew, how is it that you and Jack came by your compasses?" Will asks.

I smile, "I don't know about Jack, but I received mine from a soothsayer named Tia Dalma the year after I was named a Captain in the Navy." I hold my compass in hand, running my fingers over the polished wood with gold and silver detail. "She gave it to me in return for a favor I'd done. Not one person knew I had it until the days of Blackbeard. Even then it was kept quiet among his crew."

"As for Jack," Gibbs begins. "Not a lot's known about Jack Sparrow before he showed up in Tortuga with a mind to go after the treasure of the Isla de Muerta. That was before I met him, back when he was Captain of the Black Pearl.

Will looks up to Jack at the helm. "What? He failed to mention that."

"Well, he plays things closer to the vest now," Gibbs explains.

I nod. "As he should."

"And a hard-learned lesson it was." Gibbs continues. "See three days out on the venture the first mate comes to him and says everything's an equal share. That should mean the location of the treasure, too, so Jack gives up the bearings. That night there was a mutiny. They marooned Jack on an island and left him to die but not before he'd gone mad with the heat.

"Ah. So that's the reason for all the..." Will imitates Jack, swaying with his hands held out in front of him.

"Reason's got nothing to do with it," I say shaking my head. "Now Will, when a man is marooned he is a given a pistol with a single shot– one shot."

"It won't do much good hunting or to be rescued." Gibbs joins in. "But after three weeks of a starvin' belly and thirst, that pistol will start to look real friendly. But Jack – he escaped the island, and he still has that one shot. Oh, but he won't use it, though, save for one man. His mutinous first mate." He finishes.

The realization spreads across Will's face. "Barbossa."

Gibbs nods. "Aye."

"How did Jack get off the island?" Will asks.

Gibbs smiles, filling his voice with drama. "Well, I'll tell ye. He waded out into the shallows and there he waited three days and three nights till all manner of sea creature 'came and acclimated to his presence. And on the fourth morning, he roped himself a couple of sea turtles, lashed 'em together and made a raft."

Will blinks, confused. "He roped a couple of sea turtles?"

I shake my head smiling, oh the salty sea tales of pirates.

"Aye, sea turtles," Gibbs repeats.

"What did he use for rope?" Will questions.

Both Gibbs and Will flinch as Jack appears beside me. "Human hair...from my back." He murmurs.

I look over the rail and smile. "We're here boys. Let go of the anchor!" I call to the crew.

"Let go of the anchor, sir!" Someone echoes.