The Captain's Return

Drew's POV:

Dishes clink together on the table as Diana slides another plate onto the wood.

"Thank you," I say with a smile.

She returns my smile. "Of course."

I take one of the seaweed pastries off the plate and let my gaze float out the window to the raging currents.

"You know, as much as it is an inconvenience to you, I've really enjoyed having you here with me Brianna."

I turn my attention back to her. "Oh, no. It's no inconvenience, it's just..." I trail off.

"An inconvenience." She finishes for me. "I completely understand Brianna. It must be extremely frustrating being stuck here when your friends are in danger. I'm sure they know you're doing everything in your power to get back to them."

A light scoff crosses my lips. "My friends surely think I'm dead, or worse, in the locker of Davy Jones. I just hope they're okay, especially with Jones and Beckett on the lose."

"Then perhaps it's better they don't know you're alive. From what I know of Jones and what you've told me of Beckett, your friends will have their hands full."

"Yes, probably is best they don't know. They would surely be worrying themselves sick if they knew I was in the home of a mermaid." My eyes widen at own comment. I open my mouth to immediately apologize, but Diana stops me.

"It's alright. I know how the world perceives merpeople these days. It only takes a few individuals to give all of us a bad name. Still, it's not their fault entirely."

My brow furrows. "What do you mean by that? It's not their fault?"

"There are mermaids all across the world, in every sea and ocean, but the only ones that publicly display themselves reside in Whitecap Bay. They call themselves the Brides of Abdication." She pauses.

"Brides of Abdication?" I repeat. "Not exactly a name that strikes fear into one's heart."

Diana moves her hand to mine. "Don't judge too quickly. Their story is not one to be taken lightly."

"What happened?"

"The Story of the Brides of Abdication, some say it's a legend, some believe it's true. It's said that in years long ago when merpeople were still united under a king and queen, individuals were allowed to live and travel in their human form as they pleased. Humans knew about us, and they welcomed us with open arms. We would spread stories of far-off lands and incredible people as we traveled from place to place, but most of all, the humans loved our songs.

At this point in time, the King and Queen had three daughters, Adella, Alana, and Adrina. One day, Adella, the eldest, was spending her time, spreading songs to the people of a small kingdom. One of the princes of this kingdom happened to hear her and instantly fell in love. He asked her to come to the palace with him immediately, but in the surprise of the moment, the princess found herself without a voice. The prince, realizing his forwardness, then requested that the girl attend the ball his family would be hosting in two days' time. Adella eagerly agreed and after bidding the prince goodbye, rushed off to tell her family.

Two days later, she and her sisters walked through the palace doors of the modest kingdom, wearing gorgeous gowns of Caribbean blue. Antioch was expecting his beautiful village girl, but he and his brothers Cadmus, and Ignotus found themselves greeting three breathtaking princesses. The three couples danced the night away, just as if they were in a fairy-tale. When the night came to a close, the princesses told the princes their true identity.