Return to Port Royal (Again)

Drew's POV:

"We should return to the Dauntless." Elizabeth says, catching her breath.

"Your fiance will be wanting to know you're safe." Jack mutters to me.

I send him a sideways look. "Not the time Sparrow." I snip.

He shrugs and sways over to Will who's gazing after Elizabeth. "If you were waiting for the opportune moment..."

I walk over beside him to finish Jack's advice. "That was it."

***

I draw in a sharp breath at the severe intake of my corset strings.

"My apologies Miss, was that too tight?" Valerie says.

A hand on my abdomen, I shake my head. "No, just a surprise is all."

"Alright Miss." Valerie responds, walking over to hand me a flat brim hat. "That's a wonderful gown, new I presume?"

I take the hat from her, glancing down at my outfit. I'm dressed in a gorgeous, long sleeved, merlot gown. The sleeves end in delicate, black lace that matches the bodice, and six petticoats make the skirt absolutely impossible. I tie the hat under my chin and readjust my skirts, grumbling.

"Are you alright Miss? Something has changed since you returned two weeks ago." Valerie prompts.

I shake my head, looking out my bedchamber window. "Yes, I'm fine. There's just more enjoyable things I'd rather attend than a pirate hanging."

Valerie bows her head. "Yes of course there is. But still, you and Commodore Norrington are set to marry in a couple weeks. That must be exciting."

"Yes, it is quite exciting to know I'll never sail again." I sigh, biting my lip.

Valerie steps towards me. "Pardon me, I was under the impression you would still be considered an officer of the Royal Navy, you are a Commodore."

I simply wave a hand at her. "Don't worry, I tried to convince the Navy Committee, but they can't have a wife of an officer doing the same as her husband. Besides, who would sit nice and keep house for James if I were sailing as well?"

"I suppose you're right m'lady." Valerie says, moving to open the chamber door and peer into the hallway. "I think Elizabeth and your father are ready to leave Miss."

I take a breath and turn to face her, smiling. "Thank you Valerie, I'll see you later." I gently squeeze her shoulder as I walk by.

Father holds his hand out to me as I descend the stairway. "Ah, Brianna, you look beautiful darling. Come, Elizabeth is waiting in the carriage."

He keeps my hand on his arm ad he escorts me out of the mansion and helps me into the carriage. Once I'm settled beside Elizabeth, he climbs in as well. "My gorgeous daughters." He murmurs, smiling at us.

"Why thank you Father." Elizabeth replies, sitting in a breathtaking sunflower yellow gown.

"Are you ready for today?" He asks.

I huff, looking out the window. "Ready to see William Turner hang? Of course, why wouldn't I be?"

Father reaches across the carriage and rests his hand on mine. "Now darling, you know there was nothing you could do."

I press my lips together in reply. Before long, we've reached Fort Charles. As soon as the door is opened, I step out by myself and start walking to the fort. The gallows are set up at the center of the courtyard and a crowd has already started to gather. Except, there's only one noose hanging from the post, perhaps Jack escaped custody.