A Debt to Davy Jones

Drew's POV:

I take a deep breath before sinking into one of the chairs in my quarters.

"Drew."

I jerk to a standing position, drawing my-James' sword. I know that voice.

"Bootstrap?"

He steps into the light and chuckles. "Me and always me. But Drew, I 've come to warn you."

My heart drops into my stomach. "Is Will still on the Dutchman?" He shakes his head and I let out a sigh of relief. "Thank the lord, where is he now?"

Bootstrap shrugs "Don't know that, told him to beat it to land. We attacked a ship the next day but he wasn't among the captives or the dead. Regardless, Drew, you're in trouble. Davy Jones knows you're alive."

My heart sinks even lower. "How did he find out?"

 "Jones can sense your growing power on the sea. And more and more tales of the wicked Captain Rose surface every day. You're quite the celebrity."

A laugh escapes my lips, but I quickly sober. "How long do I have?"

Bootstrap pulls me into a hug. "You have three days. I'm so sorry. I'll do what I can to keep you safe when you join the Dutchman's crew."

I smile and shake my head. "Thank you Bootstrap, but you won't be able to do much. The debt I took from Blackbeard is an eternity of service. The Dutchman has never had a female crew member, I won't be able to keep the men off me for that long."

Bootstrap gives me a comforting squeeze. "I know, I know. But you took care of my William all those years, it's all I can to do return the favor."

I nod and he releases me from the hug. "Well," I sigh, holding out my left hand. "I know what needs to happen now."

Bootstrap gently takes my hand and presses his palm against it. I can feel a faint burning sensation as the black spot appears. Bootstrap slowly backs up, tears in his eyes, and dissolves into the wall. I take a deep breath to keep the tears from falling, looking around the room.

Of course my past caught up to me.

I take another breath.

Keep it together Drew...

Before I can stop myself, my arm lashes out in front of me, swiping piles of papers off the chart table. Before I know it,  I'm tearing into everything around me.

James' POV:

My boots thump across the main deck in the damp midnight air.

What am I doing here?

A giant crash catches my attention as I pass the Captain's Quarters. I try to push the door open the door but it's locked. "Brianna? Are you in there?"

My only reply is more crashing.

Damn this door.

I lift my boot and kick the door in to reveal Brianna storming around the tearing around the room, tears streaming down her face.

"Brianna?" I duck as an empty rum bottle flies past my head, shattering against the door frame. I rush over to her and grab her arms. "Brianna! Brianna, calm down!"

She struggles against me, sobs wracking her whole body. I tighten my grip on her and pull her down to the floor.  "What's wrong?" I ask once her breathing has steadied.

"Jones knows. He knows I'm alive. And he's coming for me."

I shake my head in disbelief. "What?"