An Exchange of Souls

Drew's POV:

"Are you sure you want to go through with this Rose?"

I turn to look at Barbossa who's looking at me with a concerned look.

I scoff slightly and turn back to Pride's wheel. "Yes, I'm sure. I know what I'm doing Barbossa."

"The enemy's here!" Pintel cries from the Pearl's deck. "Let's take her!"

The rest of the Court's ships roar with cheers and yells, but I hold my silence. The only Company ship I see is Endeavor, Beckett doesn't play like that. He'd at least bring the neighborhood bully to make himself look scarier, so the Flying Dutchman has to be lurking somewhere.

Silence falls over the Court fleet as the rest of the Armada drifts out of the morning fog. I just let out a sigh and nod. "There it is."

Cotton's parrot flies off of the Pearl crying "Abandon ship, Abandon ship."

Barbossa pats me on the shoulder. "What now Pirate King?"

A smirk flits across my lips. "Now we parlay."

James walks up just as I speak. "And how are you going to get that message over there? Have Jack shout from the crow's nest?"

I roll my eyes and answer plainly. "No, we're going to use the signal flags."

Both James and Barbossa look at me confused. "The what?"

"I have a set of navy flags down below, Beckett might not have a lot between his ears, but he'll be able to get the message." I turn to go below deck but Barbossa grabs my arm and stops me.

"Are you sure this is wise? Couldn't they be insulted that we're trying to use their form of communication? Why don't you use the pirate flag?"

I narrow my eyes at him. "Pirate King says to use the navy flags, you need to trust me." I pull my arm from his grasp and run below deck.

I quickly find the signal flags and bring them above deck. I call James over "Mind giving me a hand?"

"Just like old times, eh?" He agrees with a chuckle.

"Barbossa, are you coming?" I call up to quarterdeck.

"What about me? I-I can come if you need me to." James asks.

I put a hand on his chest. "Thank you for offering, but I'd really appreciate it if you stay here and watch my ships. It might get ugly."

He huffs in frustration, "Right, because you'd rather have brave pirate Jack by your side rather than a fluffy Navy officer."

I sigh, "James, I didn't mean it like that. I want you here because I trust you. I need you to stay here and take care of everyone."

He pulls me into a hug. "Alright, I believe you. Be careful. Remember what Elizabeth and I said."

I pull away and smile "And remember what I said. I will do what needs to be done."

"Captain, the longboat is ready."

I nod and walk to Pride's rail. "All crew left behind, keep the ships steady and wait for my return."

At that, I climb down the ladder into the longboat and row to a sand spit that lays between the two lines of ships. Just as Barbossa and I are pulling our longboat ashore, Jack and Elizabeth reach the sandspit from the Pearl. I trudge across the sand towards the trio standing at the other end of the tiny island while Jack, Barbossa, and Elizabeth follow.

"So you must be the cur that led these wolves to our doorstep." Barbossa throws at Will.

Beckett speaks up in his reedy voice "Oh don't be mad at Turner, he was only a tool in your betrayal. If you want to see the grand architect, look to your left."