12

Shelina shakes her head. 

As soon as she sees her girlfriend, she runs toward her and buries her face in the girl's neck, crying her eyes out. Becky, who usually don't like weak people, just hugs her tight, showing her that she's here now. The mass shooter killed fifteen people that day, and probably Jaelene Hinkle, which means a big investigation is taking place. The Stanford team is in a very bad place - mostly because of the fact that they don't have the 18 players required to compete for now - but so is UCLA with their two players missing.

After some minutes, Shelina stops crying, trying not to look like someone Becky couldn't love. But the blonde, at that point, doesn't care : as soon as she heard about the shooting, she feared for her girl's life and flew all the way here, ignoring the fact that she had a game with Kansas City the coming weekend. 

But her girlfriend comes first. 

"How about we take a walk ?" Becky asks, raising her eyebrows. 

Shelina only nods, as Becky entangles their fingers. 

Her idea is to take her girl away from the cops interrogating people - mostly because Shelina, as the team's captain, was interviewed by the medias and most of the local news - and the madness happening around the Cardinal's dorm. The building has been shut down, and the girls don't have anywhere to go but those tents prepared for them. 

After learning that, Becky convinced Allie and Tobin to offer hospitality to the girls of Stanford, and the two co-captains brought that to the UCLA council, and they accepted. So the deal is that the players from UCLA have to take at least one girl per room. 

After some time walking, Shelina finally says : 

"I'm glad you're here"

Something in her voice breaks, so Becky's heart shatters : she can't stand seeing her girl that sad and frightened. So she wraps an arm around her shoulders and kisses her cheeks tenderly, before pecking her lips. 

She then smiles. 

"Of course I'm here. What happened was horrible." 

"It's like a rewind of last year" Shelina says, bitter. She then shakes her head and looks up at Becky : "I mean, in worse of course."

The defender nods. 

"You know you gotta be strong for your team, right ?" she asks, knowing very well what being a captain means, especially under those circumstances. As Shelina looks at her in the eyes, she sighs and says : "Put your own feelings aside and put a comforting smile on."

"You know" the Canadian starts, thoughtful. "I'm proud of my team : those girls are sticking together. Like, right now, half of them is at the hospital to check on Kelsey, and the other half is preparing things here in Stanford so that they can cohabite. No matter if we can't compete, this team is full of winners."

"Don't say that" Becky whispers. "You never know : maybe the board will take this unfortunate event into consideration. I mean, they have to, right ?"

"Right."

As the two girls are finally finding their way to the main UCLA dorm building, they come across Megan, one of the rare girls that stayed here in order to welcome the Stanford players. Everybody else is either in the hospital for Kelsey, or in the police station applying pressure so that they release Kristie.