Thirty

It has now been two months since I've left New York and word was going around that my album was set to be released soon.

I wasn't excited. I wasn't ready. I just wasn't positive that I was done telling my story. The story of almost a year long journey.

I packed my things, said my goodbyes, and landed back at JFK.

○○○

I was stood outside the terminal looking at all the yellow cabs and taking some time to think.

I finally got in one of the taxis and told the driver to make his way to Chris' apartment.

○○○

The door swung open and an angry Chris glared at me.

"You son of a bitch," he spoke first.

"Hello to you too," I raise my eyebrows.

All that came next was a blow to the face.

"Ow!" I yell after letting my bags fall to the floor and grabbing my nose. "Are you fucking kidding me?" I yell.

"I said if you hurt her I'd kill you," Chris said. "You got off easy," he said before grabbing my bags and bringing them inside.

"I hurt her?" I questioned as I followed him and went straight to the freezer for anything cold.

"Well, you left didn't you?" He put his arms on his hips. "When she needed you most."

"Try 'she wanted me to leave,'" I shook my head. "When we needed each other the most."

"I can see that," he shrugged. "But she didn't mention that."

"She said she couldn't stand to look at me and that she needed to be alone. Asked me to leave, suggested it first too."

"I haven't seen her in two months," he admitted. "Not a call either. She's been alone."

"You think she's alright?"

"She's a strong woman," he nods. "I tried checking up on her at work. She took the first month off."

"I'm gonna go see her," I let out a sigh.

"Hey, man," Chris changed his tone. "I didn't say that I was sorry. I'm sorry for your loss and what you two had to go through. I can't imagine-"

"Thanks," I stopped him.

"How are you?"

"I've been better," I nod. "Time really does help the healing process."

We stood there in silence for a second.

"Chris," I start. "I, uh, saw all the promo for the album."

"We don't have to talk about that now-"

"That's why I came back," I explain. "Well, part of the reason. It's not ready."

"What do you mean? We have the eight songs."

"I have one more that I haven't finished writing that I need to put on the album."