Runaway - Jealous! Mello X Reader

Requested by (@anw18000)

"Would you give up your life for someone you love?"

Sitting on the floor in the main living room at Wammy's House orphanage with your two best friends, Matt and Mello, you suddenly proposed this rather deep question. None of you had ever experienced true love, or even having a crush on someone, and you had asked the question out of curiosity to find out the boys' opinions on something they might experience in the future.

Both boys proceeded to stare at you in surprise, and there was a few moments of silence before Matt finally spoke up. "I guess so," he said with a shrug.

Mello snorted derisively. "I wouldn't ever fall in love," he said, his voice filled with what sounded almost like contempt. You wondered why he appeared to despise such a beautiful emotion. "Why would you want to give away your heart to someone else?"

You sighed. "Fine. Would you give up your life for a friend, then? Someone you care about just a little bit?"

"I would die for a friend, if I thought it was the right thing to do," Matt replied. "Like, I'd die for you, (F/N), if it would save your life."

You blushed. "And I would do the same for you," you assured him, patting his knee. Out of your peripheral vision you saw Mello roll his eyes and scowl. "Mello? Would you?" you nudged him.

"Dunno," he said, looking away.

You elbowed Matt playfully. "We can always count on Mello to be the stoic, emotionless one." You patted Mello's knee this time. "It's all right Mello - I'd give my life to save you, too." Mello rolled his eyes again and didn't look at you.

You had been close with Matt and Mello for as long as you could remember. You had been placed in the orphanage young, and you didn't really remember anything from your life before then. All you knew about your parents was that they had died and you had never had a chance to really know them; you didn't even remember what their faces looked like. You had grown up with Matt and Mello as your closest friends, and you had become used to their personalities - you knew Mello kept up an emotionless outward appearance, while Matt was much more cheerful and warm, but Mello's coldness didn't bother you. You couldn't imagine your life would have any meaning without those two boys.

When the call for dinner sounded, you hurriedly got up and rushed through the hallways to the dining hall, Matt sprinting after you. In your hurried dash for food, you briefly forgot about Mello traipsing sullenly behind, and skidded suddenly to a halt just outside the hall to wait for him. Matt promptly crashed into you, sending both of you tumbling to the floor, and when Mello came around the corner, he was greeted with the sight of you and Matt lying on top of each other laughing hysterically. Matt stood up, offering you his hand and pulling you to your feet. You grinned at Mello - who, of course, didn't smile back and instead looked furious - before marching cheerfully into the hall and lining up to collect your meal.

Mello sat next to you in angry silence for the whole of dinner, and you decided not to let his mood bring you down, instead turning and chatting happily away to Matt on your other side. You didn't notice Mello's fists curl, clenching tighter every time you giggled at something Matt said until his knuckles were white and his fingernails dug hard into his palms, drawing blood. His face never changed from a furious scowl, and if you had chosen to pay attention to him then you could have practically felt the anger radiating off of him in waves of jealous fury. You had no idea of his feelings for you, and how much he hated having them, and yet how much he just wanted you. You had no clue how he felt when listening to Matt getting alone with you and making you laugh and taking all of your attention.