Chapter Thirty-Three

Chapter 33

They finally got home around midnight, and as soon as Nina got into bed, she fell asleep.

                "She's out like a light." Chris told Eva, walking into the kitchen.

Eva laughed, handing him a bottle of water.

                "Hey, um, can we talk?" Eva asked, shyly, as he watched her sit down on the counter stool.

                "Uh-oh, that's never good. You can't break up with me on my sister's birthday, it's just not right." He told her, taking a seat next to her.

Eva giggled, rolling her eyes. "No, it's nothing like that. It's about Nina, actually."

Chris sighed, "What'd she do now? Does she have a boyfriend? DID YOU CATCH HER KISSING A BOY? A GIRL? I DON'T CARE I'LL KILL THEM EITHER WAY."

                "No, no. Calm down, you're going to wake her up. No, I know that you spend a lot of time with her, but I think she's feeling a bit ... abandoned."

                "Abandoned?" This was news to him.

                "Yeah, we were talking in the family room, and she told me that she feels as if she's a ... nuisance, to you, basically. I also think that she's feeling abandoned by your parents."

                "Really? She said that?" Why hadn't she told him?

                "Yeah, pretty much. She said that she tries to stay out of the house as much as she can so that she doesn't annoy you."

                "Annoy me? She thinks that she annoys me?"

                "Yeah, I told her that it was normal for siblings to annoy each other, but I think it's just that ... I think she's scared that you're going to leave her, just like your mom and dad did."

                "I—I always try to do things with her ... I thought we were close. She knows that she can talk to me about anything. Why did she come to you, and not me?" Chris knew that their parents not being there affected Nina, but obviously, he didn't know just how much.

Eva shook her head, "I don't know. I think that it's just easier for kids, for people in general, to talk to a stranger, or somebody that they don't know quite as well, whether than somebody in their family. You know what I mean?"

Chris put his head in his hands, shaking his head. "I want her to always have the best. I try to make it possible, but no matter what I do, I can never replace our parents. And I can never make our parents good parents."

Eva sighed, not saying anything.

                "I hate them." He spoke suddenly, and felt Eva's gaze on him.

                "What?"

                "I hate them. I really, really hate them. They ruined my life, and that's one thing. I'm used to it, but Nina ... Nina's just a kid. She doesn't deserve any of this. She's a good kid. She deserves the best."

                "She has the best, she has you."

                "But am I enough?" Chris asked, looking at Eva.

                "Of course! Of course you're enough, Chris. Stop thinking like that! She loves you – she idolizes you. You taught her right from wrong; you taught her how to be a good person. That was all you, not your parents. Sure, they're the reason that she's here ... but you're the reason that she's a great person."

Chris couldn't take it anymore, he slammed his lips onto Eva's who took only but a second to respond, weaving her fingers through his hair – that was finally growing back.

                "I love you." He whispered against her lips.

                "I love you, too." She whispered back, before kissing him again.

***
A/N: i was going to write smut but. im lazy so
love you guys tho i'll make the next chapter extra long ❤️